Impala Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m sorry if this has already been asked and answered.

My wife was driving her Impala, and it blew off the trans cooler line at the radiator. Her first indication that anything was amiss was that the car revved unexpectedly. She drove it another mile until she was in a safe place.

I have replaced the line on the nipple, and replaced the crappy crimped aluminum end with fuel-line type hose clamps (the high-pressure kind). I need to know how much fluid I need to put in before I expect it to start acting normally. I have added one quart already, and it seems to engage gears, but doesn’t want to move.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Need to add Dexron 6 atf 'til it's in the safe crosshatch area of the dipstick with engine idling at normal operating temperature. All depends on much she lost and if any damage was done. I'd add in pint increments while checking the dipstick. Or you could drain what's in there from the 11mm drain plug and add ~5qts.

·
Super Moderator
12,441 Posts
Thankfully, our cars at least still have a transmission dipstick, which seems to be something that newer cars are getting rid of, which is a shame.

The trans fill procedure on my 2018 Challenger with an 8-speed auto is crazy-complicated and something that you basically have to take it to a dealer to do - and I'd even be concerned with them being able to do it properly. Certainly no trans fluid dipstick....

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
The trans fill procedure on my 2018 Challenger with an 8-speed auto is crazy-complicated and something that you basically have to take it to a dealer to do - and I'd even be concerned with them being able to do it properly. Certainly no trans fluid dipstick....
My 2013 Cruze has no trans dipstick. A drain and fill replaces about 50%. A Tech2 or something comparable is required to turn on the pump in the transmission (as I understand it) in order to push out all the old fluid and replace it with new. This requires maintaining the supply - pouring in - while metering the output - ie, stop pouring when you get to fresh fluid, if you can tell the difference. As I recall, it requires disconnecting one transmission cooler line, so there's gonna be that pesky seal to deal with when you put it back together.

Does that sound like your Challenger, Jim?

For the Cruze, in order to check the fluid level, you need to crawl underneath and remove the upper drain plug. And the car needs to be level, which is hard to do unless your jack is a lift :( Fortunately, my driveway is sloped, and I can back in and raise the front end up on ramps to get the car just about level while providing some space to get under it.

Doug

·
Super Moderator
12,441 Posts
My 2013 Cruze has no trans dipstick. A drain and fill replaces about 50%. A Tech2 or something comparable is required to turn on the pump in the transmission (as I understand it) in order to push out all the old fluid and replace it with new. This requires maintaining the supply - pouring in - while metering the output - ie, stop pouring when you get to fresh fluid, if you can tell the difference. As I recall, it requires disconnecting one transmission cooler line, so there's gonna be that pesky seal to deal with when you put it back together.

Does that sound like your Challenger, Jim?

For the Cruze, in order to check the fluid level, you need to crawl underneath and remove the upper drain plug. And the car needs to be level, which is hard to do unless your jack is a lift :( Fortunately, my driveway is sloped, and I can back in and raise the front end up on ramps to get the car just about level while providing some space to get under it.

Doug

Honestly, I don't even know the procedure needed to change the transmission fluid - I would never attempt it myself. According to this video, there is a 3 page procedure just to check the fluid level - and the fluid itself costs $43 per quart!! If you ever fell like wasting 15 minutes of your life, check out this video that talks about the 3-page procedure just to check the fluid level. :) This is the same trans that's it my 2018 Challenger (from what I understand):

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Honestly, I don't even know the procedure needed to change the transmission fluid - I would never attempt it myself. According to this video, there is a 3 page procedure just to check the fluid level - and the fluid itself costs $43 per quart!! If you ever fell like wasting 15 minutes of your life, check out this video that talks about the 3-page procedure just to check the fluid level. :) This is the same trans that's it my 2018 Challenger (from what I understand):
<snip video>
That was insane. And made all the more incomprehensible by not having a dipstick. Some of the steps are pretty common - get the tranny to operating temp, but not too hot, then check the level. And that has to be done more than once in the process. So having a dipstick will save a good amount of shop time putting the car up on a rack and all that that entails (thus the dipstick should be removed :) ).

All this reeks of new-grads running wild in the design department trying to do things better without realizing the actual impact. We can maybe blame that on the 2008 meltdown pushing out the experienced guys who know better.

And 43 bucks PER QUART for tranny fluid? What kind of fragilium did they build those 8-speed gear boxes out of?

Doug

·
Super Moderator
12,441 Posts
That was insane. And made all the more incomprehensible by not having a dipstick. Some of the steps are pretty common - get the tranny to operating temp, but not too hot, then check the level. And that has to be done more than once in the process. So having a dipstick will save a good amount of shop time putting the car up on a rack and all that that entails (thus the dipstick should be removed :) ).

All this reeks of new-grads running wild in the design department trying to do things better without realizing the actual impact. We can maybe blame that on the 2008 meltdown pushing out the experienced guys who know better.

And 43 bucks PER QUART for tranny fluid? What kind of fragilium did they build those 8-speed gear boxes out of?

Doug

Yeah, it's crazy. I'm sure the $43 per quart of fluid is the dealership price for the "OEM" fluid, but DAMN! I certainly won't be changing the trans fluid in this car every 30k miles! :) I can only imagine what the cost would be to have it done at a dealership...

These ZF 8-speed transmissions are actually very well-regarded in terms of performance and reliability, but I'd take the 6-speed in my Impala any day - just for the simplicity of it's maintenance. :)

I have a feeling that the guy in the video did everything "by the book" (which isn't necessarily a bad thing) - and my guess is that there are easier ways to do it in "real life", but still, it's absolutely crazy that they made something that should be so "simple", so complicated... It almost guarantees that people will take it to a dealership to get done though - which was probably their goal, unfortunately.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I’m sorry if this has already been asked and answered.

My wife was driving her Impala, and it blew off the trans cooler line at the radiator. Her first indication that anything was amiss was that the car revved unexpectedly. She drove it another mile until she was in a safe place.

I have replaced the line on the nipple, and replaced the crappy crimped aluminum end with fuel-line type hose clamps (the high-pressure kind). I need to know how much fluid I need to put in before I expect it to start acting normally. I have added one quart already, and it seems to engage gears, but doesn’t want

1 - 8 of 8 Posts