Impala Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay got a 2014 ls and have had numerous intermittent electrical problems dealership said the problem was the BCM. extended warranty won't cover it since it intermittent (they claim that means its not bad yet) dealer wants 800.00 to do it. I'm a pretty good old school mechanic just not that familiar with the computer stuff. I know the new one needs to be programed question is can I replace the old one then take it and have it programed? or does the old one need to to hooked to the scan tool before its switched out? I would think if the module went out completely you wouldn't be able to get any data off it so it shouldn't matter.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Unfortunately, I think it has to be programed after it is installed. The BCM also controls the vehicle's security system and a unprogrammed BCM will not allow the car to start. It also has to communicate with other the other modules, and if it does not, it will not run.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unfortunately, I think it has to be programed after it is installed. The BCM also controls the vehicle's security system and a unprogrammed BCM will not allow the car to start. It also has to communicate with other the other modules, and if it does not, it will not run.
obviously, it would have to be programmed before the car would run, I have a shop right across the street that I would tow it to which I've done before when I needed a new ABS module programed on my truck it took 5 minutes to change that module and saved me 1200.00. I'm just trying to figure out if I can do the same with this module.

·
Registered
2 Posts
okay got a 2014 ls and have had numerous intermittent electrical problems dealership said the problem was the BCM. extended warranty won't cover it since it intermittent (they claim that means its not bad yet) dealer wants 800.00 to do it. I'm a pretty good old school mechanic just not that familiar with the computer stuff. I know the new one needs to be programed question is can I replace the old one then take it and have it programed? or does the old one need to to hooked to the scan tool before its switched out? I would think if the module went out completely you wouldn't be able to get any data off it so it shouldn't matter.
Ion know man

·
Registered
126 Posts
I saw a video on YouTube of someone replacing the BCM, it's located right under radio on the floor of the car. It also has to be taken off a certain way cause it can not be Shaken to much. I think you have to disconnect it first then unscrew it out of place

·
Registered
135 Posts
obviously, it would have to be programmed before the car would run, I have a shop right across the street that I would tow it to which I've done before when I needed a new ABS module programed on my truck it took 5 minutes to change that module and saved me 1200.00. I'm just trying to figure out if I can do the same with this module.
I am just trying to say it has to be installed and then programed through the ALDL Connector. You can install it and then tow the car to the dealer to have it programmed. I do not know if smaller shops can program a BCM or not.

·
Registered
2014 Impala LT w/2LT 3.6L (10th Gen.)
47 Posts
extended warranty won't cover it since it intermittent (they claim that means its not bad yet)
An intermittent failure that is VERIFIED by a repair shop still constitutes a failure. Period. Unless there is some obscure clause in your extended warranty contract that specifically calls out intermittent failures as not covered, I'd argue this point, legally if necessary.
Please tell me that your extended warranty is not through GM directly, as this sounds like a tactic from a fly by night warranty company looking to create a way out of paying what they owe.

- Jim

·
Registered
11 Posts
Get a second and third opinion. Chevy dealer told me same thing and I walked out. Had other electric issues corrected but never needed bcm. I have 2010 116k miles. One issue was wiring that water got into which was not a recall but a broadcast (nearly same thing). Somewhere in the wheel base. Kept getting anti skid errors.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts