Impala Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! New here and have a question, if anyone here has seen this.

I have a 2014 3.6 V6 Flex Impala with approx 22k/mi. I recently changed the air cleaner outlet tube ( accordion looking thing, band clamps on the ends with a PCV tube attached to it. air cleaner box on the other end. ) due to cracking on one of the bends. I guess engine heat was the cause, making it brittle over time. Would have expected it to last longer, though.

When I removed the PCV tube from the old outlet assembly, there was a bit of oil on the very tip of the 'male' piece on the outlet that the PCV tube attaches to. Is that anything to be concerned about?

I looked at the throttle body when replacing with the new outlet and it appeared to be clean.

Any insight / help is appreciated!

·
Super Moderator
10,954 Posts
There is some oil that gets back in there in the way of vapor and will collect after a while and cause some oil to eventually collect in there. When you start the engine, especially in colder temperatures, there is condensation happens as temperatures change in the engine. Some oil vapor is collected in that condensation along with fumes and water etc. As the water evaporates off it leaves some oil behind.
I believe that is what your seeing.
Some guys put catch cans to capture all this.

Reactions: Hooligan

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds good, Pauly! Thanks for the response.

The car is out of factory warranty so I try to do what I can on my own. Keep records and such, if needed.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Hool, my 2015 2LT V6 had the crack just like yours did. I noticed it after my second or third free oil change so I had less then 15k miles. The dealer was the only one that ever touched the car so I thought maybe it cracked when they checked the air intake filter. They fixed it because it was under the bumper to bumper. I'm at 33k now and I haven't noticed any other issues. I'm thinking it was from a bad batch. I work at a company that makes plastic and rubber products so my guess is bad material caused this issue. I have never seen this before in a car and the dealer said they never saw this happen in a new car either. As for the oil, I tend to agree with retiredpauly. Because you are under the bumper to bumper just take it into the dealer to look at. Use the bumper to bumper for all it's worth

1 - 5 of 5 Posts