Impala Forums banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello, I am new to the forum!
I have just upgraded to a 2014 2LT that has the base 100w 6 speaker system. I did change out the speakers and tweeters in my 2009 LTZ and it made a huge difference. It was also relatively easy as the tweeters were in the A pillars, and the speakers were in the front doors and back deck. I also did not really care if I broke something because 2009 Impalas are plentiful for parts, but I did not break anything. 2014's are not that popular for parts, yet, so I am a bit cautious.

Has anyone changed the tweeters in a 2014? I found some dude on YouTube that did the door speakers, but nothing for the tweeters. It looks like it will be a bit more work in the 14 than it was in the 09, as the 14's are right up by the window.

I just want to upgrade to likely the same Pioneer items that I put in the 09, maybe a bit better, but no big amp or woofers or kicks or the like. And my 14 is a Canadian Impala, if that matters?
thanks
Yellow

·
Registered
29 Posts
Been researching this myself. First, Crutchfield is pretty useless for gen 9, so don't expect much love there...

Here's what I've found as it pertains to the upgraded factory "premium" MyLink system, and the Bose premium stereo. I don't know what the lowest stock model stereo has.

Dash- two 2&1/2 in. tweeters, L and R
Front doors- one 6x9 in. woofer in each door
Rear doors- one 5&1/4 in. "wide range" coaxial speaker in each door

These speakers are powered by a "Bose" labeled amplifier located on the right side of the trunk behind the trunk liner. (I know because that's what mine has, and couldn't believe it, kinda...)

The "actual" Bose system, besides having marginally better speakers than those listed above adds:

One 3&1/2 in. center channel speaker in the center of the dash
two- 6x9 woofers in the rear deck
two-2&1/2 in. tweeters in the rear deck

... bringing the total to 11 speakers for the Bose system. There is NO single, dedicated subwoofer, contrary to popular belief (or dis-belief). Instead, the 6x9s in the front doors and (if equipped) rear deck provide the bass.

The Bose system also includes "active" noise cancellation via in-cabin microphones, as well as a more extensive equalization set; 10 band, as opposed to "Treble, Mid, Bass" in the MyLink premium head unit.

I just added a Kicker pt250 bass station to my stock set up, and it rounds things out really well. I might get around to swapping door speakers some day, but am pretty happy so far.

Lastly, the only reason I said Crutchfield was "useless" is that for 15s anyhow, they only list 3 products as compatible with our cars, digital signal processors that run from $650- $1100, and they only list 6&1/2 and 6&3/4 round two and three way speakers for the doors. It doesn't give me much confidence in their mastersheet until they get a few more 9 gens cracked open.

Hopefully this info helps!
Does the base system really come with a Bose amp? If it does I wonder if I could toss in some rear deck speakers, I find the system fine for my liking as i'm not one to rip the entire stock system out and put a new one if in my opinion the stock system isn't so bad. I'm not an audiophile, however I wouldn't mind an easy way of installing rear deck speakers for a little extra bass.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Any chance you could post a picture if it is not too late. 6x9's are pretty large for a door are you sure they are not 5x7 or 4x6 ?
Yeah, we're sure, they are 6x9's. Yes, it usually isn't like that. They put the sound stage upfront. So if you have asked if he is sure several times that tells me you don't have a 10th Gen or you could look easily like I have many times since I've owned mine. So you just bores and trolling then?

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Umm Impala-Blue-2 posted that over 6 years ago... 😂

21 - 25 of 25 Posts