Impala Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A co-worker & friend of my wife contacted me with a problem her son was having getting his 2014 Impala LS fixed at a local dealership. His Impala LS ran perfectly one day, then the next morning, when he started it up, it was running rough and missing. He had just filled up the day before, and thought he had gotten bad gas. He took it to the GM dealership he had bought it at a couple of years ago. They checked it out and said the rocker arm oil control valve was bad, but they didn't have one in stock, no other dealers had any they would sell them, no aftermarket parts were available, GM had discontinued them, GM had replaced it with another part number, but it hadn't been approved by the government yet. WOW, what a bunch of BS I thought... but I was wrong.

Apparently, they have been having a bunch of them fail. With the GM strike last fall, inventories of that part were already short. Then they discontinued part #12633613 in December. They show a new part #19419980, but that must be the new one that hasn't been approved by the EPA yet. All of the aftermarket parts are sold out, except for a few on ebay for around $500 both new as well as used, for a part that was about $50 aftermarket. Price gouging isn't limited to things people needed, or thought they needed, when the virus hit hard in March.

The dealership suggested he buy another car from them of course, but she wants them to loan him something while they search for a part. The car is out of warranty of course, so I doubt that will happen. They quoted a repair bill in the $600 range, which sounds a bit high to me, but not if they had to pay $500 for an aftermarket part. I asked her if he was still working at his restaurant cook job, and she said yes, even though they had cut back his hours. Presently, he is sharing his little brothers car.

Has anyone else had this problem recently, or do you know of a source of parts? GM has a TSB about pieces of this valve falling into the camshaft area, which could really mess things up inside the engine. Also, the only youtube video I saw on this problem, was diagnosed as an open solenoid coil on this valve.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thank you so much for posting this! I bought my 2014 Chevy Impala LS in 2/2018 and two months after I purchased I noticed I had the same issue. I brought it back to the dealership numerous times, and even paid for a “tune up” and it still did not solve the problem. I was told it was the way I was driving the vehicle perhaps. I told them to take the car back. After the 8th time, Chevy got involved, and my warranty was 10 miles from expiration they admitted the rocker arm oil control valve was bad and this was the cause of it running rough for a entire year!
It was a nearly $600 repair, however it was covered by warranty. I am out of almost $500 in useless repairs as they knew all along what the issue was. I’ve been scared to drive the car since. I just got a extended bumper to bumper warranty with endurance just in case anything else goes wrong. I’d suggest spending the extra money, or getting a new car because these chevys are having a lot of widespread issues. Good luck

·
Registered
392 Posts
How many miles? I would try to see what the dealer does when you ask them for the money back for repairs that were not necessary. After that I would to talk to you state attorney general office. They will go after automotive repair places faster than any other industries.

I had 1lt for 4 years from new. Never had any issues, except the leaky tail lamp issue. Which was covered by standard warranty.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My Chevy Impala at the time was Certified Used bought around 40k and just under 60k when the issues were happening and warranty expiration date hit.This is great advice!

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, the '14 LS in my post has around 70K miles on it, and had 48K when he bought it. Never had any problems with it until now. I haven't heard anything out of her since, but she promised she would keep me posted if any new developments came up.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got an update this morning. The dealership gave him a loaner about a week ago. The GM replacement part has been moved to the approval process, and should be available soon, according to the parts manager. A GM rep, and the parts manager, have been keeping them updated every couple of days. My opinion of this GMC Buick dealership has been upgraded considerably. Don Franklin GMC Buick, in Lexington, KY. A family owned dealership group, that advertises it is the largest in this state. They have bought up a lot of different brand locations in the past few years

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Another email the other day. They finally got the part from GM, and he has his Impala back. That took a long time, but hopefully the new designed valve will last a lot longer than the original.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts