Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I’m about to attempt to replace all the suspension parts im almost at 120K so it’s more of a maintenance precaution. I’ve been reading around on here and see thats it’s difficult to get complete struts for the LTZ with the FE3 and some people deal with sizing issues because of wheel size. I was thinking just getting OEM from chevy but I see that it requires you to reuse the spring already on the vehicle and I want to replace everything. Has anyone found good complete struts that bring no issues?

·
Registered
348 Posts
Hey guys I’m about to attempt to replace all the suspension parts im almost at 120K so it’s more of a maintenance precaution. I’ve been reading around on here and see thats it’s difficult to get complete struts for the LTZ with the FE3 and some people deal with sizing issues because of wheel size. I was thinking just getting OEM from chevy but I see that it requires you to reuse the spring already on the vehicle and I want to replace everything. Has anyone found good complete struts that bring no issues?
I'm leaning toward the Monroe F/R Quick Strut Police Pkg Set from Rock Auto when the time comes to replace mine. Just not sure of 18" wheel clearance, because the description says "w/ 17" wheels," but I'm betting I'll be okay.

·
Registered
680 Posts
I'm leaning toward the Monroe F/R Quick Strut Police Pkg Set from Rock Auto when the time comes to replace mine. Just not sure of 18" wheel clearance, because the description says "w/ 17" wheels," but I'm betting I'll be okay.
Did you end up going with these struts or something else? I ask because I am in the market for new struts and tires so I have reading this suspension forum for information.

I know about the Bilstein struts fitting our cars but I can't justify the money on them to just run up and down the highway. So I need something adequate and decent, not completely awesome like the Bilsteins. The police car struts could be a good upgrade if the LTZ tires will clear the spring perch on them.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Did you end up going with these struts or something else? I ask because I am in the market for new struts and tires so I have reading this suspension forum for information.

I know about the Bilstein struts fitting our cars but I can't justify the money on them to just run up and down the highway. So I need something adequate and decent, not completely awesome like the Bilsteins. The police car struts could be a good upgrade if the LTZ tires will clear the spring perch on them.
I haven't pulled the trigger on anything yet. The car has only 55K on the clock right now, but I've been planning to replace the dampers at around 60 to 65K (starting to feel a little floaty when negotiating freeway interchanges), so I've been scouting out my options.

I'll most likely go with the loaded Monroe Police struts. I'm not put off by the price of the Bilstein dampers. I have Bils on both of my other vehicles, and they really are worth every penny from the perspective of their ride/handling balance. But I want fresh springs for the Impala when I perform the suspension refresh, as well as new dampers, and I don't want to dink around with tracking down the correct springs to match the Bilsteins and then assembling everything. I want to keep it simple - bolt-in loaded struts - and the Monroes should perform fine. They're a twin-tube design like the Bilsteins, and they should be a little firmer than the stock FE3 setup without being too harsh.

·
Registered
680 Posts
I haven't pulled the trigger on anything yet. The car has only 55K on the clock right now, but I've been planning to replace the dampers at around 60 to 65K (starting to feel a little floaty when negotiating freeway interchanges), so I've been scouting out my options.

I'll most likely go with the loaded Monroe Police struts. I'm not put off by the price of the Bilstein dampers. I have Bils on both of my other vehicles, and they really are worth every penny from the perspective of their ride/handling balance. But I want fresh springs for the Impala when I perform the suspension refresh, as well as new dampers, and I don't want to dink around with tracking down the correct springs to match the Bilsteins and then assembling everything. I want to keep it simple - bolt-in loaded struts - and the Monroes should perform fine. They're a twin-tube design like the Bilsteins, and they should be a little firmer than the stock FE3 setup without being too harsh.
Do you think the police struts will provide enough clearance for our 18" wheels?

I am eyeballing the KYB quick struts because the KYBs are good and they will clear our tires, so I have read... The police car struts should be a good bang for the buck option but I would want to know that they will clear our tires before buying.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Do you think the police struts will provide enough clearance for our 18" wheels?

I am eyeballing the KYB quick struts because the KYBs are good and they will clear our tires, so I have read... The police car struts should be a good bang for the buck option but I would want to know that they will clear our tires before buying.
18" wheel clearance remains an open question for me. Some online vendor listings mention only 16" and 17" wheel fitment, which is concerning and why I asked the question a while back. But it appears no one here has tried them on an 8th gen Impala with 18's.

I'm running aftermarket wheels with less backspacing than stock, so I'm a little less concerned about potential interference issues than someone running the factory wheels. But I'd still like confirmation from someone running 18" wheels that they didn't encounter fitment problems with the PP struts. I may still give them a shot in the absence of any, because, worst case, I'll need to exchange them for the KYB struts.

·
Registered
348 Posts
FWIW, I did a fitment check against a 2016 Impala Limited LTZ for each of the Monroe PP struts on the Summit Racing website. According to Summit, they all fit.

·
Registered
680 Posts
FWIW, I did a fitment check against a 2016 Impala Limited LTZ for each of the Monroe PP struts on the Summit Racing website. According to Summit, they all fit.
Interesting... food for thought... there are rebates on KYBs right now. The most appealing one is $75 rebate on 4 quick struts. It goes until June 30th so I may just take the plunge.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Yep. I ran KYB's on one of my previous cars, and was very happy with them. Quality dampers.

Are the KYB Quick Struts about the same rates as the factory FE3 parts?

·
Registered
680 Posts
Yep. I ran KYB's on one of my previous cars, and was very happy with them. Quality dampers.

Are the KYB Quick Struts about the same rates as the factory FE3 parts?
That is what I need to look at and compare. When I find something I will post it.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Here are the part numbers...

Screenshot_20200507-181225_Chrome.jpg

·
Registered
348 Posts
Those same exact KYB parts are available for a few dollars less as a complete kit. Same $75 rebate applies. Check on Rock Auto under 2013 Chevrolet Impala --> Suspension --> Suspension kit. Same parts bundled into a kit for $410.79.

2013 Impala Suspension Kits

·
Registered
680 Posts
Those same exact KYB parts are available for a few dollars less as a complete kit. Same $75 rebate applies. Check on Rock Auto under 2013 Chevrolet Impala --> Suspension --> Suspension kit. Same parts bundled into a kit for $410.79.

2013 Impala Suspension Kits
Good work by you! Saves $17 off the cost of buying them individually. Rebate ends June 30th... gonna jump on this soon.

·
Registered
680 Posts
I just ordered the KYB quick struts. Could not find anything on spring rates and real tech info like that. Some good info and videos on KYB's website though. I hope they arrive by Friday evening so I can install them and the brakes I ordered and and received last week. After this it is tires and an alignment and then done.

As far as the rebate goes, since I am installing them myself, a picture of the UPC bar codes has to be submitted along with the receipt in order to get the rebate going. It is a $75 Mastercard.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Struts showed up today... I will install them and the new brakes this weekend.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Sooooo? Does the rear struts fit ok?
I haven't installed them yet, reason being I am getting a replacement rear sway bar from Addco. They are in production now and I should have my replacement any day now. I am going to just do everything at one shot. I am confident that they will work because I have read more than once that other people have used them with no problems and KYB states they will work. I will reply to this thread once I have them installed.

·
Registered
680 Posts
I started the work on the car today. I sent Addco an email on Wednesday to get an update on my replacement sway bar and they told me it could be as long as June 23rd to get it. So I said screw it and started on the rear struts and brakes. The KYBs fit and there are no tire clearance issues with the factory 18" wheels and the factory tire size of 235/50-18. There is plenty of room between the spring perch and the tire. It took a little persuasion and a few F words to get the strut up into place but they finally fit into position.

I stopped at the rears for now to go pick up dinner. My initial impression is that the car feels tighter and the struts and springs won't beat you up or make you feel every little thing. They are better than stock and better than parts stores brands, but they are not Bilsteins either. Some strut tower braces will make a noticeable difference along with new tires. I am most likely going to tackle the front brakes and struts tonight after dinner or first thing in the morning. More to come...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts