Impala Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am stranded far away from home and I couldn't find a mechanic that can help me sooner than late next week, so I'll have to solve this on my own.

My radiator is leaking from the drain plug, the plug is missing in its entirety. The problem is that it doesn't look like a standard Impala plug. I got the plug from AAutoParts, and it looks like the right part from my search on the internet, but it looks like a lot thicker than what the old part was on. I suspect that this part is not standard as it is police package. I am trying to identify what the right part might be.

Here are some pics:
Your help is much appreciated, as I said, I am stranded until I can find the part.

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
I am stranded far away from home and I couldn't find a mechanic that can help me sooner than late next week, so I'll have to solve this on my own.

My radiator is leaking from the drain plug, the plug is missing in its entirety. The problem is that it doesn't look like a standard Impala plug. I got the plug from AAutoParts, and it looks like the right part from my search on the internet, but it looks like a lot thicker than what the old part was on. I suspect that this part is not standard as it is police package. I am trying to identify what the right part might be.

<snip pic>

Your help is much appreciated, as I said, I am stranded until I can find the part.
I couldn't tell much from the pics. I cannot see whether the opening may be damaged.

If you can get to an auto parts store, they have a section of packaged parts that includes everything from window cranks to radiator plugs. You might grab a sampling and try to see if any of them fit.

Good luck with it.

Doug

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mystery solved. That is the drainage, the plug itself is perpendicular to the drainage and is accessible from the engine bay. More likely than not the I have the right plug, I'm just waiting for the engine to cool off and see.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Mystery solved. That is the drainage, the plug itself is perpendicular to the drainage and is accessible from the engine bay. More likely than not the I have the right plug, I'm just waiting for the engine to cool off and see.

You are correct. The drain petcock, which has an o-ring, is situated parallel to the ground (on the right or passenger side of the radiator). I have changed the engine coolant on several 8th generation Impalas.

You must turn the plastic drain petcock several turns counter-clockwise, then wiggle the petcock to remove it entirely from the radiator. Or, turn several turns counter clockwise - slightly wiggle it and pull it out slightly. This will enable the fluid to drain quicker.

I suspect you radiator petcock is present, but the not tightened fully - or the o-ring is damaged, causing the leak.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts