Impala Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I have a 2013 impala ltz. 154k miles on it. This happened once a few months ago and now the sound comes and goes way way more often. Usually this only happens while I'm taking a slow turn, but sometimes it happens while I'm driving 55 and I move the steering wheel to the left or right.

So, I know I need to replace the abs wiring harness. I've needed to do that for some time now, but I just haven't. The noise I'm about to attempt to describe is not the stabiltrack okay? I have a light on the dash that lights up when the traction control kicks on and the car comes to a slowish halt. This is different.

Like I said above, while driving and usually taking a slow turn, there is a noise in the front end. It sounds like a rubbing squeakish sound? It's difficult to explain. Sounds like something is wearing down. I'm not sure what this could be. I know my brake pads are low. Could that create a sound like the one I just tried to describe and would it be inconsistent? Please let me know what you all think and if you have any questions I'll try to answer them. Maybe someone can help me give a better description of how it sounds.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Before replacing the front abs wiring harnesses, may try unplugging and spraying with elec. contact cleaner and then applying/smearing some dielectric grease into all 4 plugs. You may want to check your wheel bearings, brakes and outer tie rod ends.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Before replacing the front abs wiring harnesses, may try unplugging and spraying with elec. contact cleaner and then applying/smearing some dielectric grease into all 4 plugs. You may want to check your wheel bearings, brakes and outer tie rod ends.
I will definitely do that to the harnesses. I'm going to check that Saturday. I know my brake pads need changed. I think this sound might be tie rods. Idk

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
I know my brake pads need changed. I think this sound might be tie rods. Idk
The traction control can make a grinding sound similar to a brake rub. Failing ABS wheel speed sensor wires can trigger the traction control, just they can also trigger the ABS, but the ABS sound is more like a machine gun.

Also, badly worn pads can make a grinding sound not just when braking, but sometimes when turning, too.

I would replace the pads first before working on the speed sensor wires.

Also, wheel bearings (hubs) can make grinding sounds as well.

HTH.
Doug

1 - 4 of 4 Posts