Impala Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently encountered a clicking when I open the doors either with my fob or key. Any suggestions? The doors lock and unlock ok. Is it a relay problem?

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
I have recently encountered a clicking when I open the doors either with my fob or key. Any suggestions? The doors lock and unlock ok. Is it a relay problem?
Does it happen getting out? Or just when you're getting in the car?

I suspect it's one of your air conditioner/heater actuators clicking. These control the hot/cold blend damper(s), the fresh air/recirc damper and the vent selection. When they fail, they are known to click. And when you are getting in the car, they will sometimes start clicking as part of a self-calibration process. The clicking is due to a stripped gear inside the actuator. The self-cal involves the computer trying to open/close the damper and find its limits (for all the way open and all the way closed).

Does it sound like the ticking is coming from the dash?

Does it stop when you put the key in and turn it to ON? If it's still clicking at that point, try adjusting the AC controls to see if anything makes it stop clicking, and take note of which knob fixes it.

The actuators are in the 25-60 dollar range. If you're limber and patient, and have some tools and a good temperament, it can be a DIY project. Otherwise, you're looking at $100+ in labor.

I may be getting ahead of myself. The source of the noise needs to be confirmed first. Share with us what you know and what else you find.

Doug

1 - 2 of 2 Posts