Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wondering I just got my 2013 impala Lt did all of these cars come with tire pressure sensors as when I go thru the message centre the tire pressure doesn't come up.

Thank you

·
Super Moderator
12,441 Posts
I thought that TPMS systems were mandatory now - and also thought that all 2012+ Impalas had them... So you tried cycling through all of the different buttons and didn't see anything?

Sent from my TbooK 16 Pro(E5C8) using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
12,441 Posts
That's really interesting. I just looked it up and they have been required by law on all new vehicles since 2008 in the US!

Unless fleets were allowed to order cars without them, I can't explain why a 2013 would not have them. Unless there is something wrong with the BCM programming and it's just not reporting them?? Really strange...

When you say you don't have them, do you mean that you for a fact they are not installed in the tires at all or just that you can't see them reported on the DIC?

·
Registered
155 Posts
When you say you don't have them, do you mean that you for a fact they are not installed in the tires at all or just that you can't see them reported on the DIC?
I don't know if there are sensors in the wheel or not but I definitely do not have anything about tire pressures when scrolling thru the menus with any of the four buttons, there is just nothing there.
I am in Canada so maybe it wasn't required here? not sure.

·
Super Moderator
12,441 Posts
Looks like TPMS is *not* a requirement in Canada - that must be it - cars sold in Canada don't require them....

"The Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) is not a manufacturing requirement on new vehicles sold in Canada, or on imported vehicles. Furthermore, there is no federal regulation that prohibits disabling the TPMS system on vehicles, as vehicle use falls under provincial and territorial jurisdictions."

·
Registered
155 Posts
Man...I guess GM really does anything they can to save costs. Crazy that they took out the TPMS in Canadian cars.
Yeah I bet it's all in the computer just not enabled, the only cost they saved is the actual monitor hardware in the wheels.
I also hate that my rear seats don't fold, do all LT's in the states have folding rear seats or just some of them?

·
Super Moderator
12,441 Posts
My understanding is that the fold-down rear seat is an option. But even my 2012 fleet Impala has the fold-down seat...

·
Super Moderator
12,441 Posts
The fold-down rear seat really *should* have been standard equipment - especially since you can't get into the trunk with a dead battery without the fold-down seat (I consider that a design flaw!!). There should have been a keyhole under the Chevy bowtie on the trunk (the kind where the bowtie slides open). It would suck to have a dead battery with all of your tools in the trunk and no way to get to them!! :)

·
Registered
155 Posts
The fold-down rear seat really *should* have been standard equipment - especially since you can't get into the trunk with a dead battery without the fold-down seat (I consider that a design flaw!!). There should have been a keyhole under the Chevy bowtie on the trunk (the kind where the bowtie slides open). It would suck to have a dead battery with all of your tools in the trunk and no way to get to them!! :)

Yes I had that exact thing happen, left my GPS on while on vacation for two weeks and found myself standing in the airport parking lot with a battery so dead it would not open the trunk...where my booster cables were of course.
Very bad design, I couldn't believe there wasn't some kind of mechanical release, even a little emergency cable inside the car would have done.

·
Super Moderator
12,441 Posts
Yeah, obviously, they were not too concerned with appearance - they just put it wherever it was convenient (I'm assuming) in order to "make it work". To me, the perfect place would be under the bowtie, so that it's hidden (I've seen other vehicles where the emblem "slides" open to reveal a keyhole).

Although, it's not like it will ever change now being that they don't even make them anymore. :) Very poor design choice though...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts