Impala Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2013 Impala LT, V6, Flex Fuel

I'm looking to replace the metal PVC Valve (the one with the 2 holes that tend to clog with carbon), but am uncertain where it is located. The new part I have is "Standard Ignition V518 PCV".

I was hoping to find a picture/video online showing the exact location of this item, but haven't found a thing. Even an engine parts diagram would be helpful, but again can't seem to locate what I'm looking for.

From the information I've gathered the valve is near the back of the engine.

With the plastic engine cover removed I could see that there is a fitting going into the rear valve cover toward the right hand side that makes me guess that this is what I'm looking for.
If this is in fact the correct location I see that there is a plastic fitting that "clips" onto the valve. Is a screwdriver the best means to dislodge the connector from the valve? I'm really hoping not to break anything.

Any advice in helping me complete this task is appreciated!

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Sorry, no pics, but yes, you've probably located the pcv "barb". It's back behind the throttle body inserted into the rear cam cover with a vacuum hose running from it to its vacuum port on the rear of the intake manifold. Iirc, I disengaged/released the hose clips by hand using my fingers? On 1 of my 3.6's, the barb pulled/twisted out by hand. On the other, I had to use slip-joint pliers to twist and pull it out. If plugged, it's probably plugged with a gooey oily gel. You can just clean the 3 holes out and replace as there're are no "innards" in the barb/pipe. Or do as I did, I drilled the larger single hole out to 7/64" and the 2 smaller holes out to 5/64".

·
Registered
332 Posts
I believe the PCV barb is on the intake manifold below and behind the air inlet tube, between the air inlet tube and the left fender. The photo below shows the barb with the PCV hose removed. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both for the replies! This will be a task I tackle this weekend and will be sure to share the results. I did get a brand new valve and drilled the holes bigger to the sizes as recommended.

Stay tuned!...…...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Mine wouldn't budge when I tried pulling it from above on a cold engine. I now warm it up and it pops right out. If you still have trouble disconnect the plug wires back there. This makes enough space to use the claw end of a crowbar to pry up on the little ridge.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice!

I will make sure the engine is warm before attempting to remove the valve!

Your post is appreciated!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mission Accomplished!!

Once I managed to get the clip undone of the fitting that houses the PCV I ended up using a long needle nose pliers with a 90 degree bend to rock the PCV out of the cam cover.

With such a tight fit and not much room for ones hand, putting the new bugger back in where it belonged was certainly more difficult. I actually had to "tap" it in.

I also pulled off the intake tube and cleaned out all the oil that was trapped inside the ridges of the tube.

Replaced the dirty air filter and cleaned the MAPP Sensor off with appropriate cleaner.

With the enlarged holes drilled into the PCV valve hopefully this will eliminate the need to do the job again for quite some time!

And hopefully this post will help someone else having the same issue that these badly designed parts have caused.

Thanks to all who have contributed to the post!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts