Impala Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do I use this to down shift?

From Drive move to Low and it picks a gear or does it go to 1?

and from there I can move up or down?

·
Super Moderator
12,441 Posts
When you shift in L, it will automatically pick an appropriate gear for your speed. From there, you can set the top gear via the manual shift buttons.

Sent from my HP SlateBook 10 x2 PC using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
When you shift in L, it will automatically pick an appropriate gear for your speed. From there, you can set the top gear via the manual shift buttons.

Although helpful - you make it too easy for those who do not read their vehicle owner's manual...........

·
Super Moderator
12,441 Posts
I don't mind. Honestly, I feel that's what the forum is here for - to help each other. I mean 99% of what is asked and answered here is already documented out there on the internet somewhere (or even here on the forum somewhere) - yet we still help each other when those questions are asked as well... If we didn't, there wouldn't be much use for the forum! Just a bunch of posts telling people to look it up themselves... :)

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
I don't mind. Honestly, I feel that's what the forum is here for - to help each other. I mean 99% of what is asked and answered here is already documented out there on the internet somewhere (or even here on the forum somewhere) - yet we still help each other when those questions are asked as well... If we didn't, there wouldn't be much use for the forum! Just a bunch of posts telling people to look it up themselves... :)

Interesting that the OP did not have the courtesy to thank you.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OP will now thank.
OP does not live here only visits.
Therefore, OP will send thank you card in a timely manner:giggle:

Yes, I did read the manual leading to what may have appeared to be a stupid question.:biggrin:

The predetermined gear was the issue and it appears through experience it picks one of two. Or at least that is what I have seen.

Higher speed picks 4th

Lower speed pick 2nd

It does not pick the gear that you are in...So it I am in sixth gear and switch to manual the selector displays 4 and not 6.

I can using the selectors move up the gears

Thank you jtrosky

and for 1999 White C5 Coupe, the Corvette guys would have insisted the I consult the Factory Service Manual first.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I keep it in second and it appeared that I got to nearly 80 MPH in second gear before red line

The question is what happens at red line.
Does it shift into the next gear, in this case third?

or

Does is bounce on a rev-limiter, giving the OP a wake up call :yikes:

This time thanks in advance

·
Registered
57 Posts
I use mine quite frequently, from what i understand is that it sends you back a gear or two and allows you to control rpm for torque.

To awnser your question the vehicle will automaticially shift but allow you to almost go full redline (6800 rpm i think). Its pretty much just like a manual trans but does everything for you so you dont ruin the trans. Sometimes tho if your not paying attention and you dont press the gas to allow it to go over onto the next gear it will hold. Ive always forgot to go back into D after engine braking at a red light in manual mode to only take off snd be at almost 7000 rpm lol surprises me everytime.

·
Registered
57 Posts
With that bein said not to bump but with the shift select, if im in first and i select 4, does it just go up the gear range normally until it hits that 4th gear then going the whole rpm range of the 4th until it switches to 5th?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Impking

Are you saying that additionally to using the steering shifters you can up shift by lifting off the gas?

Let me know

And

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
110 Posts
think of it as a gear limiter rather than shifter or manual mode. some cars do that, the number says the gear the car is in, impala and most chevys do not.

basically the number in the display is the highest gear your car will be in. not the gear the car is currently in.

its actually a very useful feature. this is great for going down long steep hills or down hill in the snow to help slow the car down. or when towing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts