Impala Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dealer appears to be a little reluctant to program after market fobs.

However I found Dorman combo that provides a fob and an OBD programming tool to allow the fob to be programmed without taking to a dealer

Has any one purchased one of these and success?

·
Premium Member
10,732 Posts
06-2010 - simple no dealer needed - all done on DIC.

2011 plus have different learning procedure and you need a dealer or perhaps this gizmo will work.

·
Super Moderator
12,441 Posts
When I looked up the part number for the fob with the remote-start, you can get them for as little as $60. Not bad for a keyfob AND the tool to program them. Way better that having to take it to a dealer!

Sent from my HP SlateBook 10 x2 PC using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
12,441 Posts
I would think that you can use it as many times as needed - not 100% sure about that though. It connects to your OBD-II port.

Unless it's somehow tied to that specific keyfob that comes with it?

Good question!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
RockAuto has the 5 button fob and programmer for approx $55.

The reviews on Amazon are positive.

However, it appears that it is good for three sessions.

From which I would guess is round up all of the fobs and program away, session 1

As I mentioned my dealer is a bit whiny regarding programming aftermarket fobs.

I will try and needle him some more

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Supposedly AutoEnginuity with the GM EOBD extensions will program Fobs to the car with the ST06 interface. I've had this software for over 10 years and recently updated it.

Ease claims they can do it too.

Neither are super cheap.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Success, Success, laughter joy and holiness

Mine arrived today Dorman part number 99157 from RockAuto.

and :cool:

Worked as stated, Programmed the remote that it came with and two others:eek:k3: Guessing this is session one of three stated in the manual. Or one of five as stated from Dorman customer service inquiry. No matter as I do not plan to lose it more that a couple of times:hope:

Three five buttons with remote start, my VIN indicated my car had remote start.

Hope this helps someone with a reluctant dealer as mine...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have an OBD cable and scan tool software on my laptop. I wonder if there is a way to use that to program keys and key fobs. I have searched Google and cannot find any information on how this programming works for 2013-2014 Impalas. I wonder how the dealers have kept it so secret for so long ... they sure charge ripoff prices for fobs and programming. Is there anybody who actually knows how it works?

HELP!

·
Super Moderator
12,441 Posts
No, an OBD-II cable/scan tool cannot program the FOBs. I believe you need a Tech II device, which is pretty expensive (and required "subscriptions", etc)... Have to take it to a dealer unless you're ready to spend a lot of money to be able to do it yourself...

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I have an OBD cable and scan tool software on my laptop. I wonder if there is a way to use that to program keys and key fobs. I have searched Google and cannot find any information on how this programming works for 2013-2014 Impalas. I wonder how the dealers have kept it so secret for so long ... they sure charge ripoff prices for fobs and programming. Is there anybody who actually knows how it works?

HELP!
That depends on the scan tool software.
FOB programming is GM CAN EOBD not basic OBD II. Your scan tool needs to talk to the BCM. You won't get that functionality for less than $500.

Sent from my SM-P605V using Tapatalk

1 - 16 of 16 Posts