Impala Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Helo all,
Im going to look at a 2013 9c1 and from the manual, i see that this year has a engine idle meter, and a engine run meter.
Does anyone know how to get to this menu? Is is the same menu to see how much oil life is left
Also what would be considered "alot" for the idle time
And at how many idle hours would you just walk away?
The car has 39k miles on it and i think it still has 1 year powertrain left through gm?

Thank you all,
Dave

·
Super Moderator
10,954 Posts
If it was an ex police car I suspect the idle time would be high. Or if it was a taxi. Not sure iow much is too much though.

·
Super Moderator
7,058 Posts
I would not worry about the idle time. The vehicle has low mileage and may have been a detectives vehicle instead of a patrol car. At 39K miles it has a long life left for sure.

·
Registered
29 Posts
The hour meter should be in the info display

Generally idle hours on police cars vary between agencies and the purpose the vehicle served. Some agencies are strict about shutting off and some run idle until they're back at the station end of shift

I've seen patrol cars with 50,000 miles and thousands of idle hours because it was a city patrol car that only moved a few miles a day but racked up idle hours on emergency calls throughout the day

A regular average idle hour for a state patrol car that see some highway patrol, mostly station work, traffic accidents etc may see anywhere between 3-5,000 idle hours figuring a service life of 4-5 yrs which means a 2-5 hours idling a day that is my general standard for factoring state, county sheriff patrol car use

A larger city patrol car may see idle hours ranging into the 5,000-10,000 idle hours

It isn't horrible but consider the added engine time to the transmission pumps and engine belt accessories, fluids

I don't know the specifics on idle engine hours for an impala engine on how long they last, oil consumption over time but the crown vics 4.6 V8 take thousands of hours over the years with little oil consumption and relatively healthy engines. I've seen crown vic engines with over 12,000 idle hrs and a few with 15k+ that were gate cars at a guard shack
I have a crown vic that has 500 idle hrs that is considered extremely low hours, considering it wasn't an active patrol car but in a civilian capacity in the town gov

1 - 4 of 4 Posts