Impala Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody, I have a 2013 impala with a federal emissions 3.6. I know the proper way to pull the motor Is to drop the entire suspension and k frame all in one piece and lift the body from the assembly. However I am working with no lift, and a gravel driveway. Is there enough clearance to be able to pull the motor from the top if all the accessories are off and exhaust manifold? Is there enough clearance to easily separate the engine from the transmission in the car? I apologize if this has already been answered. I know it’s possible to pull the 3.5 push rod motors out of these cars but the 3.5 is more compact than the 3.6. Has anyone tried this before? I spun a bearing and ended up buying a 14k replacement engine for 1000, figured it was easier and cheaper than sending my old motor to the shop. Plus spare parts! Any help would be appreciated!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I pulled mine from the top when previous owner ran without oil. Just popped off the hood strut and gently laid hood all the way back. Once all accessories are off has tons of room!
Hey I appreciate you getting back too me! I pulled it out from the top today. Surprisingly it was a lot smoother than I thought it would be...

I hit another issue however, of course! Haha. My 2013 has air check valves on both banks. My new motor however does not have holes drilled for both ports.

The engine I bought was out of a 2014, I am unsure if it was a new body style or the limited impala. Any idea what this motor came out of? I really do not want to drill and tap the block in 5 different places because if I break it, “I own it” you know?

·
Registered
632 Posts
Looks like you got a federal emissions motor and you actually need a California emissions motor. The cylinder heads in the federal emissions motor don't have the proper porting for the air injection. Hopefully you can exchange the motor you got for the correct one.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Fwiw, my '12/'13 are "gas only" and both have air pumps (sai). My son's '16 Limited is ffv and has no air pump. All the flex fuel Impalas I've seen are not equipped with sai, the "gas only" ones are. The Ford in me wants to call them thermactors, lol.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts