Impala Forums banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,441 Posts
Look into some of the posts by SC2150 - if I recall correctly, he does turbos with this powertrain successfully to over 500hp...

·
Registered
598 Posts
My goal is 500hp to the wheels but my only and main concern is the 6 speed transmission. ..

Will it hold up to 500hp or more?
Not likely. :)
What *might* help delay things is NOT using sticky tires, but that just means more spinning than forward motion. RWD cars use different trannies, those are pretty strong, unfortunately not the FWD variant. I cannot see more than maybe 400hp being somewhat reliable, but not more than that.

You may want to get very advanced and get an electronic boost controller, so that you can lower boost in the first 2-3 gears.

In the end, though, you *will* dump another 3+ G's into the transmission if you want it to be able to hold 500+ HP, or you will have a car with 500+HP and no functional tranny.

It's all about balance. You cannot increase one side and expect the other end to not need attention as well.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Agree. The auto trans (internals are the same as the conventional engine orientation, case is different) torque converter is the weakest link, and to date we have NO aftermarket hard parts to beef it up. We have them living in Camaros and Cadillacs and the SUV's but your pushing it. I do like the intercooler location now. Good luck and keep us posted!

·
Registered
41 Posts
need to keep us updated MDLTZ, this is something that i have been wanting to try for a long time. i have a 3.9l lt, would love to see it with something like this.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I'm trying to do the same thing and get a Turbo. Guy at the shop around here say's its never been done on my car in the area. He said it would run around 8 to 10,000 dollars for the work. Computer, dyno test and custom stuff. I wish I knew how to do it my self would save alot of money. The system only like 5 or 6,000.:bang:

·
Super Moderator
10,732 Posts
Okay - anybody who wants to do a Google search can do it. To not dis-rail this thread, it will not be a debate about whether somebody is good or a hack. The info is out there on the web for anybody who may want to do their own search. And for the record, I have no opinion - just stepped in to keep the thread on track.

·
Registered
225 Posts
This person has come on here to defame in the attempt to cause harm, and nothing more. Each of his claims are false and easily debunked...if any need the truth, just ask. We have never destroyed any car in over 40 years in business, and are not banned from C5 forum or any other for what he claims...we did drop as a supporting vendor and are not allowed to be a standard member after doing so on any forum.

This is all organized by an unscrupulous competitor that does not hold ethics and truth high on their standards, but instead choose to cut others down in hopes of promoting their business.

So, those on here know me for how long and how I contribute to all in helping with technical data and problem solving....hardly pushing products.

·
Super Moderator
10,732 Posts
Back to the thread topic now......

·
Go Get It
15,046 Posts
Todd, just to let you know, I invited him to make his rebuttal and to leave it at that. Please see the discussion thread in the moderator section

·
Registered
598 Posts
Still waiting on info on transmission if it will hold up to the power or not anyone have any info on that matter?
I know a guy that pushed 10PSI through the GTP tranny (550HP on a 275HP rated tranny) and it lasted a year, but he used only thin factory tires, NEVER did a burn out, NEVER went over 20% from a standing start. After about 200-300 full throttle runs on the highway... boom. That had to be some kinda record for a GTP tranny... lol

·
Registered
225 Posts
Thanks all.....anyone can be destroyed with games on the internet now days, and combating false posts is difficult. I have over 40 years of a great reputation and thousands of satisfied customers, can't please all, but 90% of what you see negative is fabricated and only the past 1.5-2 years since they started this campaign.

Now on to the original subject:

The 6L50E trans has held up remarkably well with over 50 SC and turbo builds we have done over the years on the 3.6L V6....the manual trans and clutch ones dont last (the clutch at least). Most of these are 400-450 whp with some pushed to 500 plus.

The stock torque converter does not last long though.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Yes, but you keep forgetting to say that none of the ones you speak of are FWD, your experience is with Camaro and related RWD platforms.

If you ever get the chance to work on an 8th or 9th gen Impala, please share the experience, there are many here that would be glued to their screens... me being one of them.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Agreed. The only others are AWD so the torque is strutted to all 4 wheels. I can share with the cobalt turbo 4 cylinder FWD we broke axles....and had to ugrade those....but they were manual trans and not the auto.

41 - 59 of 59 Posts