Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK starting my build on my turbo 2012 Chevy impala LTZ 3.6l build will have a top mounted intercooler, 50mm tial bov, 38mm wastegate, 2.5" piping

Will post some pics of mounted intercooler when I get home today

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
That's awesome

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's awesome
thanks hopefully i can get it done before summer time all tuned and pushing 6psi or more but ill start with 6psi then i'll think about swapping bottom ends and pistions with the new turbo 3.6 cadillac motor

·
Super Moderator
3,903 Posts
I did some research on the LS side3 of the turbo thing and basically they were saying the ever popular 2.5" crossover is grossly oversized. I hope your 2.5" pipe is only the merged part and it is smaller before that

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
:lurker:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I did some research on the LS side3 of the turbo thing and basically they were saying the ever popular 2.5" crossover is grossly oversized. I hope your 2.5" pipe is only the merged part and it is smaller before that
Huh? Can you make some sense? That comment is confusing

·
Registered
598 Posts
OK starting my build on my turbo 2012 Chevy impala LTZ 3.6l build will have a top mounted intercooler, 50mm tial bov, 38mm wastegate, 2.5" piping

Will post some pics of mounted intercooler when I get home today

Silly question time... why a top mounted intercooler? Would not a front facing intercooler in front of the main radiator be more effective (tons of room in front of the rad and access to more airflow)? Also, you would have to have as a bare minimum a custom hood that permits the IC to face into the air and then have a path that lets the "heated" air escape from under the hood somehow, yes?

I am thinking that this makes for a potentially high/obvious hood, no?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Silly question time... why a top mounted intercooler? Would not a front facing intercooler in front of the main radiator be more effective (tons of room in front of the rad and access to more airflow)? Also, you would have to have as a bare minimum a custom hood that permits the IC to face into the air and then have a path that lets the "heated" air escape from under the hood somehow, yes?

I am thinking that this makes for a potentially high/obvious hood, no?
Yeah I've been contemplating on just doing a front mount but I'm worried about having no access for tubing and having to cut into radiator support

I should be getting the manifolds made up on Sunday I'll take pics if I do

·
Super Moderator
3,903 Posts
Huh? Can you make some sense? That comment is confusing
I was saying that on V8s 2.5" crossover is too big. For a V6 it would be monstrous. 2.5" might be an OK size for after the merge, but probably a bit oversized even there unless looking to push the motor hard. Compressed gases are just the compressed and don't take up as much volume so a smaller pipe is appropriate.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Yeah I've been contemplating on just doing a front mount but I'm worried about having no access for tubing and having to cut into radiator support

why not do a air to water intrecooler?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I was saying that on V8s 2.5" crossover is too big. For a V6 it would be monstrous. 2.5" might be an OK size for after the merge, but probably a bit oversized even there unless looking to push the motor hard. Compressed gases are just the compressed and don't take up as much volume so a smaller pipe is appropriate.
Your talking about from the exhaust manifold up to the turbo correct? I'm gonna run 2 in pipe to a 2.5-3in into turbo then all my intercooler piping will be 2.5 in

Then turbo back I'm gonna run 3" out to the back

·
Registered
598 Posts

Yeah, some minor fab work may or may not be needed for the rad supports, but you'd be getting 3-5 times more air flow through the intercooler, so it would be well worth it.

BTW, when coming down to the key to making this whole turbo project work with your setup, what are your plans for the tuning? You doing it yourself or getting someone to do that for you? Stock tune is going to do nothing for you in a turbo setup except help blow it up faster... lol

·
Registered
598 Posts
why not do a air to water intrecooler?
Likely just reduced cost and complexity issues, though A2W ICs do cool more effectively.

This is going to likely be a lower boost setup and the added complexities of a water pump, extra plumbing hoses and (for best effect if you want to go all out) a trunk mounted ice container may be beyond the scope of what the user looks to want for final results.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Couple of observations, the earlier aluminum IM is a different port design and bolt pattern, your plastic OEM one will be fine, we boost them to 12-14# no issues.

Intercooler where you have it will do little to cool IAT temps. You must have constant flow through it of unheated air from the front of the car, so really needs to be behind grill or could be remote mounted anywhere it can get cool fresh air forced through it. Even a cooling fan added.

The MAF needs to be at least 6-8" from the TB to prevent error's in the MAF flow readings as the TB blade shuts.

Tuning, Will at Overkill can master that for you...he is awesome and we just finished a 2014 LFX engine single turbo with AWD and mid 400's to the wheels. Owners goal was to spank new Porsche Turbo Cayenne and he did handily. Will made cold start, warm start, and drivability excellent as well.

How are you oiling and doing oil return?

PCV evacuation is critical when your boosting through the IM so ask if you want guidance.

We do all types of FI to the 3.6L DI GM engines and have learned all the nuances and modifications needed to make it work. Good luck and were willing to offer guidance if you want it.

:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 59 Posts