Impala Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2012 Impala LS Fleet, and I'm wondering if I can activate XM. It looks like I already have the proper head unit installed (RPO code US8, with MP3 and RDS capability), and my car came with OnStar and Bluetooth. There is apparently a specific port on the back of this unit for an XM wiring harness, and I'm wondering if my car has the harness, even though there was an 'XM DELETE' specified in the build (I think). Is there a way to tell without taking out the head unit?

Thanks!

·
Registered
653 Posts
Is there a button on the radio that says "CAT"?
The RPO US8 is the "uplevel" radio that has MP3 capability and it has a "cat" button. But even though the head unit is compatible with XM it does not mean that the vehicle has XM. This head unit is used if you have XM or not in many GM cars and trucks as an upgrade to the base radio that does not have MP3 playback nor RDS (this is the feature that shows the name of the song you are listening to). I would check in the trunk above the right wheel well behind the trunk lining and see if the wiring for the digital radio receiver, aka XM receiver, is their. If not then the wiring behind the radio probably isn't their and the cellular antenna isn't compatible with XM either and your best bet to get XM is to get a portable XM radio with car kit.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Not sure how 100% this is, but I found this
Complete Sirius Install Kit for Factory GM Vehicles

This however from what I can tell will only do Sirius tuning. Not XM tuning which isn't really a big deal because the subscriptions are damn near identical. Has anyone else ever tried it this way before?
Just checked with the parts department in the Dealership that I work at and their is no way to add factory XM to a car that does not have it, aka thier is no accessory kit for it. If you have a Head unit that is XM compatable, the link above may be the only way to do it, or if XM themselvs has a kit that may be an option as well.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I don't believe they do. The only other option I suppose would be to do a portable unit. Just an Onyx, you can get from XM right now for $50, $20 for an FM direct adapter, $20ish for an antenna adaptor and reverse antenna, then like $10 for a cig socket.
$100 bucks for a portable unit, with everything you need to hardwire it wouldn't be too shabby.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts