Impala Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi where is the pcv hose located at exactly? I have a small leak inside the mass intake dripping out the bottom and i dont want it to get past the air filter, Is it something i can DIY/easy to replace or should i have a mechanic do it? Or is it not the pcv hose at all? Any help greatly appreciated thanks!

·
Registered
354 Posts
I take that section between air box and throttle body off and empty it once in awhile. It seems to be worse in the cold months. Always a bit of oil in there. I noticed when I bought this vehicle that although the oil had been changed before I drove it 5 hrs back home that upon arrival home the oil cap had that white stuff on the inside. I intended to change the oil to what I usually use and opened the air filter box to find the air filter about clogged w dust oil cotton wood fuzz and butterfly wings in there. My assessment was it was original or maybe changed once in the 80k before I got it. Once I changed the filter that white stuff didn’t come back.
Point is, to me, it seems that a clogged air filter causes excess vacuum causing build up of oily residue. It appears on yours that this oily pcv blow by filled up then flowed back and is dripping out the filter box. You may not need to replace anything but the air filter and clean the oily stuff from inside the box and that 3-4” tube leading to the throttle body.
IMHO

·
Registered
354 Posts
You can use an 8mm socket to get the hose clamps off. That pc of hose comes off too. Take and blow through it to get any blockage out. 👍🏻

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
Hi where is the pcv hose located at exactly? I have a small leak inside the mass intake dripping out the bottom and i dont want it to get past the air filter, Is it something i can DIY/easy to replace or should i have a mechanic do it? Or is it not the pcv hose at all? Any help greatly appreciated thanks! View attachment 165018 View attachment 165019
Fwiw, the hose circled in the pic is just a clean/fresh air hose running to the front cam cover. The pcv barb and its vacuum hose are located behind the throttle body near the firewall. The pcv barb has 3 small holes that can get gelled/gummed up with oily deposits. May check/clean as necessary. Also, make sure the pcv vacuum hose is secure at both ends.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts