Impala Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my car in 2013 with 29K miles on it and now have 173K and have yet to change the serpentine belt. Evey inspection I've done of the bel,t shows zero cracks anywhere.

How long are these belts supposed to last? How often do you change out yours on the 3.6L?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fwiw, I swap mine each 100k miles. Does your owners manual have any recommendations/intervals?
I was overlooking that for a while there. Found one online

"Inspect engine accessory drive belts for fraying, excessive cracks or obvious damage (or every 10 years, whichever occurs first). "

I also didnt notice the transmission service should have been every 45K instead of 90K.

But for no crack on 170lk belt, I would say it was a very good belt.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Modern serpentine belts are made from EPDM, instead of neoprene, like they once were. They don't crack like they used to. The grooves will wear though.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I’ve got 162k on my factory-original serpentine belt in my 2011 Equinox. My ‘02 Impala has 240k and I’m pretty sure I only changed it once - at 104k, when I replaced the intake gaskets

·
Registered
246 Posts
Sometimes they last an extraordinarily long time, sometimes ppl change them. I changed mine at 100k for pc of mind. $20-$30? Seems worth it to me.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Maintenance is CHEAPER than getting stuck on side of road, especially if you can do it yourself. A broken belt COULD cause engine overheat and internal damage [plus the hassle of being stranded]. To me the cost of $30-$40 for new belt is cheap peace of mind.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Maintenance is CHEAPER than getting stuck on side of road, especially if you can do it yourself. A broken belt COULD cause engine overheat and internal damage [plus the hassle of being stranded]. To me the cost of $30-$40 for new belt is cheap peace of mind.
I got a GM belt for $41 Amazon and did it myself in 10 mins. No way would I pay a dealer $150- 200 to do that

·
Registered
38 Posts
With 170K on the clock, ... you're due! Probably overdue.
Order yourself a replacement.
Store it with your spare tire.
Badda-bing; badda-boom!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts