Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed a factory nav radio into my 2012 impala. Had it flashed for my VIN, almost everything works great. The instructions call for it to be tied into the Vehicle Speed Sensor wire. Everything on the radio works except the turn by turn directions which apparently tapping into that wire corrects. The wire is supposed to on a harness that connects to the EBCM. I was lucky enough to have a GM tech I know print me the wiring diagram for the harness. I then had my car audio guys go to tap into it and it wasn't there! They pinned out the entire harness and every single wire was there as it should be except for the VSS wire. Please help! I'd really love to have the turn by turn working on this radio.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
I’m planning to get a navigation in my cay do you have picture?

How much did it cost? What is the part num?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
One of my older posts has a picture, it's a clean install. I think I paid like $800 for the radio which included the guy flashing it to my VIN. I also sprung for a kenwood backup camera which I highly recommend. Who ever you get the radio from unless it comes with the OEM Nav Antenna spring for that as well. I did not have good luck with the aftermarket GPS antenna but the OEM one I haven't had an issue with since I switched it out.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I been thinking about getting One of these decks or a aftermarket cd player/navi unit. I did not want to mount an antenna inside that could be obstructed, or another external one when there is already the onstar/xm one. I have a fully loaded SS think they wouldnt have cheaped out on the radio! Anyways I was searching for a way to use the factory roof antenna and found this. So I am assuming you could do this with these factory decks too?

Modding Factory Onstar/XM Antenna for Aftermarket GPS - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts

·
Registered
37 Posts
No but I probably will this spring, half them people on that thread you posted are confused as to what that antenna is even used for seems like ha. The antenna on the roof has 3 leads, cell,xmradio, and the onstar. Like the write up I found says it disconnects the onstar. I dont mind I dont use onstar anyways. Yeah you could mount it in the dash like the suv's got, Im just saying you could use the roof antenna if you wanted.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
No but I probably will this spring, half them people on that thread you posted are confused as to what that antenna is even used for seems like ha. The antenna on the roof has 3 leads, cell,xmradio, and the onstar. Like the write up I found says it disconnects the onstar. I dont mind I dont use onstar anyways. Yeah you could mount it in the dash like the suv's got, Im just saying you could use the roof antenna if you wanted.
If you are going to do it take picture let me know how it go

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I mounted the antenna under the center of the dashboard, it wasn't that hard to do, i didn't even screw it down, once you snap the dash back down it isn't going to go anywhere.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
I mounted the antenna under the center of the dashboard, it wasn't that hard to do, i didn't even screw it down, once you snap the dash back down it isn't going to go anywhere.

Did you have to take the defroster vent out or the dash panel?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No, I just worked it loose and unsnapped it, then held it up with on hand and slid the antenna into place with the other, make sure you have NOT installed the radio before doing this otherwise you'll never be able to fish that wire coming from the antenna down behind the radio. There is an opening between the vents running down behind the radio that is perfect for running the wire.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
No, I just worked it loose and unsnapped it, then held it up with on hand and slid the antenna into place with the other, make sure you have NOT installed the radio before doing this otherwise you'll never be able to fish that wire coming from the antenna down behind the radio. There is an opening between the vents running down behind the radio that is perfect for running the wire.
you loose the dash?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yeah, just get the dash apart from the front, it should just unsnap and you should be able to have enough clearance to slide that antenna in place, just remember to have the radio out when your doing it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have not, but to be honest with you I haven't had time to look for it either. A friend of mine who works at a dealer talked to one of his mechanics who said the wire might be tucked back along the harness where it was supposed to be wired in to, however to get at it I have to take off the airbox, etc. If I get out of work at a reasonable time today I may go fishing for it. I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have not, to be honest I put it on the back burner and really don't think much about it anymore. It's rare I go anywhere that I don't already know where the location is, and if I'm driving I have to use my phone because I'm locked out of the radio nav if the vehicle is moving. I was hoping by now someone else would have jumped in and say they found it or they successfully completed this installation, but so far, at least from what I've seen it hasn't been done.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts