Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought one in January on a special GM "deal"... I like to keep statistics on MPG just to see how they compare with the EPA 18/30 ratings. In the first month local driving (Avg speed of 26 MPH) was getting me 22 MPG....a Hwy road trip at posted speeds 32 MPG. Last week for local city/suburban driving I got 24 MPG. Don't get me wrong, I don't expect the Impala to be a Prius for MPG. Just wondering what others, who keep track of this sort of thing, results have been. I am not complaining one bit...btw....

I did buy a new Cruze in 2011....for city/suburban driving last year I averaged 33 MPG...again @ average speeds of 26 MPH. My sons' old Buick was ten years old, so I am letting him use the Cruze...do I bought the 2012 Impala.

I've been driving the Impala for six weeks...a wonderful car IMHO...quiet, with a fantastic ride. As I bought it new for under $19,000, I doubt that any car in that price range would be any better.

·
Super Moderator
10,950 Posts
Is that REAL mpg's or as calculated by the on board computer.? I find in my 2006 that the on board is generous in it's calculations. I too am not complaining as to mileage for the size of the car etc., but to get "as advertised" mileage the conditions have to be pretty optimal.

Paul

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Real...I am blessed as the DIC matches the "real" MPG--in the Chevy Cruze it reads 15% "high"...

When I first drove the Cruze in 2011 the DIC was reading 38 MPG+ on my stop & go commutes...but the "real" mpg was 32~33...

·
Back in Black
4,127 Posts
Depends on highway city mix, if mostly city mix 21-23, mostly highway 26-30.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I get 20 to 23.5 mpg on my ltz. DIC average fuel economy 22.9

I would assume that is not with highway driving? Had a 2003 Buick Century...used to drive on the hwy on a 200 mile trip. I'd set the CC at 62 MPH and I often beat 40 mpg .. that's real mpg.... Wilkl try this with the Impala this summer to see what it can do...

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Depends on highway city mix, if mostly city mix 21-23, mostly highway 26-30.
On my HWY trip at 32 mpg---I was doing 65 mph..it was on a cold winter day..I would guess it will do better than that when it warms up... I don't push it hard and I am easy on the accelerator.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
I would assume that is not with highway driving? Had a 2003 Buick Century...used to drive on the hwy on a 200 mile trip. I'd set the CC at 62 MPH and I often beat 40 mpg .. that's real mpg.... Wilkl try this with the Impala this summer to see what it can do...
city 75% and highway25%

·
Back in Black
4,127 Posts
On my HWY trip at 32 mpg---I was doing 65 mph..it was on a cold winter day..I would guess it will do better than that when it warms up... I don't push it hard and I am easy on the accelerator.
Better gas during summer also I normally run 77mph depends on my mood if I am easy on accelerator and traffic conditions. The traffic in Nothern Virginia is a mpg killer like being in city traffic even if you are interstate.:gaah:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Better gas during summer also I normally run 77mph depends on my mood if I am easy on accelerator and traffic conditions. The traffic in Nothern Virginia is a mpg killer like being in city traffic even if you are interstate.:gaah:
You sure get a lot of miles out of your automobiles..do you repair them yourself?

No complaints about the MPG that I'm getting...I like to experiment on road trips to see what I am able to get..sort of a hobby for me.

·
Back in Black
4,127 Posts
time permiting I fix them if out of warranty or I am upgrading parts on them

·
Registered
954 Posts
Wally, thanks for sharing your mpg experiences! I'm going to document your feedback where the appropriate GM teams can view it, and please feel free to send me a private message if you would like me to investigate any concerns further.

Best,

Katie
Chevrolet Customer Service

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wally, thanks for sharing your mpg experiences! I'm going to document your feedback where the appropriate GM teams can view it, and please feel free to send me a private message if you would like me to investigate any concerns further.

Best,

Katie
Chevrolet Customer Service

Ok, I might tell the others that I can glean more MPG out of a vehicle than can most folks...I seem to have a good knack for doing so.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I am getting 22-24 in town MPG and recent trip to Florida week before last 29.1 MPG coming home pushing about 75 mph.My onboard comp mileage very accurate in my LTZ not very accurate on our LS . I ck almost every fill up.My 2002 LS has 195K still getting 22~24 in town 26~28 highway.

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
My 01 ls is getting anywhere from 18-22mpg and mostly city with a "lead filled" right foot. My 01 has just over 130k miles, original cat converter (plugged up) and original spark plugs. Not bad but, I could be getting much better. I also reset my computer, GPS, and Trip with every fill up. My DIC is just about spot on with my gps on miles. Usually gps is a few miles short of the DIC but, likely due to the delay with satellite's.

Note: I hit 65mph (over limit) in 4miles within a 20mile round trip to work and back. So, mostly city

My average right now after 1/2tank is about 20.6mpg. Not bad considering the 7th gen tanks are 17 gallons and, I am constantly looking for trouble from older v8's and tuners. Smoked a 79' skylark the other day (work with the guy who thinks it's bad, pff blew him away).

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Over the last two days of stop & go suburban driving----25 mile one way trip at 25 mph avg speed...I managed to get just under 26 MPG... Not bragging..just sharing...as I mentioned it is a sort of a hobby for me to see what I can get. Hopefully some others might do the same. Gasoline prices are high and the Impala is not a Prius, yet with a gentle foot and some road strategy, one can do quite well with it when it comes to mileage. I had a 1972 Nova 6 cyl... looking back I was getting 12 mpg with city driving...of course back then gas was 27¢ a gallon.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts