Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
750 Posts
There's literally tons of options. One deciding factor will be your budget. How much you looking to spend?

I'm in the same boat too, I have my old Pioneer Double din but I want something newer that supports Apple CarPlay if possible.

Have you seen the Rosen "plug n play" headunits? I like that you don't have to buy the additional dongles to get steering wheel controls and door chimes.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I’ll be honest,

I have a 2019 impala, with car play, I never use it lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
750 Posts
Yeah on second thought, for this car, apple car play isn't needed since I am planning to continue using my iPod Classic for music playback. I think CarPlay is only useful when using your phone as a music source.

I was looking at a new Kenwood headunit but it had a disclaimer that it wouldn't work with any Apple 30-Pin devices. Since my last Pioneer has that issue with the Pico fuse I wanted to try a different brand altogether but have been stumped on what to try. I'm still thinking of giving the Kenwood a try, car audio is one of those things where you aren't really sure if you'll like it until you buy, install, and play around with it.

·
Registered
293 Posts
You still have a 30 pin iPod?? Lol time to upgrade sir! Lol.

For the record they will work. Just Bluetooth to them.

My car has a wireless charge pad in it so I just Bluetooth my phone. Apple car play is good for talk texting while you drive. But can be irritating when the words you are saying are incorrectly put in. Even without carplay installed the talk text thing works on Bluetooth. The real benifit to car play is if you do not have gps in the head unit. And car play will let you put your maps on it from your phone. So u can get away with not paying extra for a head unit with gps and just use the one thru the phone.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
with my 2016 silverado around town i only use the bluetooth feature to play spotify through the factory bose stereo. i would probably use car play on a long trip, having waze show on the radio would be nice. but realistically i probably wouln't pay a lot of extra money for that feature. i'm just happy having my spotify play on the car stereo without a cord.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Haha same here. I have soooo many Apple devices too. I even have an iPad mounted in my Harley motorcycle fairing. Which IMO is way better than car play feature lol

·
Super Moderator
12,434 Posts
My new Dodge Challenger has Apple Carplay and Android Auto built in and what I find nice about Android Auto is that you can use Waze for navigation on the 8.4" car infotainment screen. The benefit of Waze is that you are alerted of police - and it's REALLY reliable! Travelling back and forth to Pittsburgh over the past few weeks, it was *so* nice getting alerts of "police ahead"! I never once saw a cop that wasn't shown before-hand in Waze. I did get some "false alerts" where it said there were police, but they were no longer there, but that is about it. LOVE that feature! It even alerts you of roadkill on the road, objects on the road, cars on the side of the road, etc. I couldnt' believe how accurate it was (obviously becuase other motorists keep it updated).

It's also nice for showing the music apps on your car screen instead of having to fumble with the phone (for Pandora, Spotify, etc).

I do still use a 128gb "thumb drive" for all of my "local" music though (the Dodge does a REALLY nice job of putting the music in a database with album art, etc).
@2007Imp850 - if you are interested in a Rosen/Advent plug-and-play unit, let me know - I'll hook you up with a REALLY good deal... I have a few that I was holding back in case anyone I sold one to needed a replacement, parts, etc, but it's time to let them go - never had anyone report a single failure after selling 25+ units to other forum members. :)

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
i haven't given the car play feature a fair shake, although i've used it in a previous rental before. i will say as an IT professional I tend to stay on the minimalistic side of extravagance as a rule. however not having to fumble with my phone while driving would be nice on a long trip. around town i can just wait the 30 minutes. so for me, if i did a lot of long trips and was going to keep the car for a long time, it might be worth it. however if you just stick to 1 hr or less trips then maybe not.

it's a cool product, but i think they have a ways to go on making it a little more fluid and not as "kiddy" looking. that being said i wouldn't buy a car that doesn't have that feature or something similar to it.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
My new Dodge Challenger has Apple Carplay and Android Auto built in and what I find nice about Android Auto is that you can use Waze for navigation on the 8.4" car infotainment screen. The benefit of Waze is that you are alerted of police - and it's REALLY reliable! Travelling back and forth to Pittsburgh over the past few weeks, it was *so* nice getting alerts of "police ahead"! I never once saw a cop that wasn't shown before-hand in Waze. I did get some "false alerts" where it said there were police, but they were no longer there, but that is about it. LOVE that feature! It even alerts you of roadkill on the road, objects on the road, cars on the side of the road, etc. I couldnt' believe how accurate it was (obviously becuase other motorists keep it updated).

It's also nice for showing the music apps on your car screen instead of having to fumble with the phone (for Pandora, Spotify, etc).

I do still use a 128gb "thumb drive" for all of my "local" music though (the Dodge does a REALLY nice job of putting the music in a database with album art, etc).
@2007Imp850 - if you are interested in a Rosen/Advent plug-and-play unit, let me know - I'll hook you up with a REALLY good deal... I have a few that I was holding back in case anyone I sold one to needed a replacement, parts, etc, but it's time to let them go - never had anyone report a single failure after selling 25+ units to other forum members. :)
on my silverado they want 100 or 150 for a software update that would give me google drive compatibility. however i think the projection option might get around it. i agree waze is pretty nice...although i've found it a few times to be inaccurate on the exact location of you destination lol

do you know on the factory head units if we can update our software on our own and avoid the service charge at the dealer?

·
Super Moderator
12,434 Posts
do you know on the factory head units if we can update our software on our own and avoid the service charge at the dealer?
I think the vast majority of auto manufacturers require the dealer to perform any software updates. There are a few that allow you to do it yourself with a USB thumbdrive, but not many. I think all of the American manufacturers require a dealer though. Pretty silly in this day and age, in my opinion... Just another way for them to get your $$$, unfortunately...

·
Registered
293 Posts
I think the vast majority of auto manufacturers require the dealer to perform any software updates. There are a few that allow you to do it yourself with a USB thumbdrive, but not many. I think all of the American manufacturers require a dealer though. Pretty silly in this day and age, in my opinion... Just another way for them to get your $$$, unfortunately...

Agreed. That’s why auto makers are doing SOOOO much vehicle control thru the head units. It definitely prevents people from upgrading their stereos. If they could just put a set of RCAS in the trunks l.........would make lives sooo much easier

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
my buddy with an f150 is telling me we should be able to update it but i think the only thing he actually updated were the navigation maps on his. so i'm pretty hesitant to try it unless i can verify i won't brick my radio lol.

·
Super Moderator
12,434 Posts
Yeah, it would be impossible to replace the head-unit in my 2018 Challenger. It controls EVERYTHING - heated/cooled seats, heated steering wheel, sport mode settings (steering assist, trans shifts, engine tuning, etc), HVAC settings, all other car settings, etc. No possible way I can replace it with an aftermarket radio...

I do plan on eventually getting a t-harness and connecting one of those Kicker KEY180.4 amps though (and replacing the speakers, obviously). Maybe add an under-the-seat sub too. But the main head-unit will most likely never be replaced.

·
Super Moderator
12,434 Posts
my buddy with an f150 is telling me we should be able to update it but i think the only thing he actually updated were the navigation maps on his. so i'm pretty hesitant to try it unless i can verify i won't brick my radio lol.
Definitely look into it - I could certainly be wrong. But up until recently, it seemed like most were not user-upgradable. I think some Hyundai's could be updated by the end-user, but haven't seen that on GM, Ford or Dodge/Chrysler yet.

·
Registered
750 Posts
You still have a 30 pin iPod?? Lol time to upgrade sir! Lol.

For the record they will work. Just Bluetooth to them.

My car has a wireless charge pad in it so I just Bluetooth my phone. Apple car play is good for talk texting while you drive. But can be irritating when the words you are saying are incorrectly put in. Even without carplay installed the talk text thing works on Bluetooth. The real benifit to car play is if you do not have gps in the head unit. And car play will let you put your maps on it from your phone. So u can get away with not paying extra for a head unit with gps and just use the one thru the phone.

Yeah you're right I'm way overdue but, the sole reason why my 160GB iPod classic still gets used is that I can have about half of my music collection with me all the time, on demand, no downloading or streaming. I've been thinking about trying some different options but with the iPod Classic I can retain all of the sound quality as well, that's one thing I don't like about bluetooth although I admit the technology has come a long way and the sound quality from streaming audio doesn't sound bad at all.

When the new iphone comes out later this year, i will probably retire the ipod since my current phone has 256GB of storage and I'll then use it to store my music. I would however like to try out streaming using the Google Play app since most of my music is uploaded there for on the go access too

Ya know, this doesn't sound like a bad idea JT. I may have to take you up on that and give the Rosen/Advent a try. Exactly which model do you have to offer? I need to do my research to see if I want to go down that road. I might just do it since I just need something in there better than the stock one. The only reason I am not in a big rush is because I don't even drive the impala as much anymore, my girlfriend is spoiled with it lol.
As soon as I sell my old Pioneer Double Din I will be in the market for sure though.

·
Super Moderator
12,434 Posts
Ya know, this doesn't sound like a bad idea JT. I may have to take you up on that and give the Rosen/Advent a try. Exactly which model do you have to offer? I need to do my research to see if I want to go down that road. I might just do it since I just need something in there better than the stock one. The only reason I am not in a big rush is because I don't even drive the impala as much anymore, my girlfriend is spoiled with it lol.

As soon as I sell my old Pioneer Double Din I will be in the market for sure though.
I have Advent OGM-1's, Rosen GM1010's and a Rosen GM1210. All are complete, fully-functional units in excellent condition. At this point in the game, I'm just looking for someone else to get some use out of them instead of having them sit around collecting dust. Let's take this to PM though. Do a little reseach on them and don't hesitate to ask me questions about any of them. Then we'll talk price via PM. But trust me, the prices will be good - and with every radio I sell, you can always return it for a full refund within 30 days - for whatever reason (I don't want people regretting their purchase) - although nobody has ever taken me up on that offer. :) Look at it this way, you'll gain navigation, much better sound quality, touchscreen, more power and other features. Everything will be better than stock while still looking stock. :)

You will NOT have AndroidAuto or Apple Carplay though. Everything is "local" (unless you stream via your phone over bluetooth).

·
Registered
3 Posts
I also have a 2012 impala and i got me a sony xav-ax100 and it works amazing it has apple car play and andriod auto i got mine for about 238 because i got it at frys electronics with a promo code

·
Super Moderator
12,434 Posts
I'll be honest, Android Auto is kind of annoying... I'm using it for navigation mainly because it's the only option I have for navigation in my Challanger, but I'd prefer built-in navigation. The problem with it is that it doesn't allow you to do much. Things are "locked out" while you are moving and the feature set of apps like Maps and Waze is extremely limited when used via Android Auto. At times, it's frustrating to use. For example, when I setup a route, I have no way to view the "Itinerary" (list of turns)! To me, that is a basic feature that should be available in all navigation apps, but isn't available via Android Auto. Very limited POI (points of interest) browsing too. Everything is very "limited". :)

Compared to a full-featured navi app like iGo Primo or iGo Nextgen, it kind of sucks...

I'm making it work, but so far, not a huge fan...

EDIT - Yes, I do understand that Android Auto is supposed to keep you from being distracted while driving (which is why it's very limited in nature), but I've found myself being even MORE distracted trying to figure out how to get some basic information from it, which wouldn't be so distracting if it just let me get the info I needed easily. :)

·
Registered
56 Posts
If you really want a double din radio a good one with apple car play/ android auto is the pioneer avh-w4400nex. It is kinda pricey around $550+ the dash kit and wiring accessories. Thing you might want to look for is how many rca outputs the headunit has, 3 sets is ideal if you ever want to run aftermarket amplifiers (2 sets for a 4 channel, and 1 for a sub amp). If having a screen is not important to you pioneer makes arguably the single din radio, the deh-80prs. It has a built in dsp (digital signal processor) and literally no distortion comes out of the deck even all the way up! It runs for about $300. These radios might not work with apples 30-pin connectors but there’s software so you can pull the files off of those I pods so you can just put them on a flash drive. I hope this helps, if you have any questions feel free to ask!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts