Impala Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Folks,

How do I compress this caliper piston? Videos online show the "apply used brake over piston and compress with channel locks" method, but in those videos there is only one piston. My calipers have two.

Automotive tire Tire Bicycle part Automotive exhaust Rim

Also, is the game up for these rotors? I don't know what to look for when considering whether a rotor is done for or not.

Wheel Tire Locking hubs Automotive tire Vehicle brake

Any help is greatly appreciated.

(The more I look at it, the more I think I need to replace the entire thing)

·
Registered
430 Posts
The old pad will work with 2 pistons, also. You might want to try using a large C clamp instead of channel locks, though. As for the rotors, you can have them turned if they are not already worn down too thin. Most people usually replace them, instead. The charge for turning them is usually around $15 each.

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Unless you're getting vibrations in your steering wheel or butt or noises when braking, I'd just slap some pads on and call it good. Check your rotors inboard/outboard with your eyes and fingertips for wear grooves.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Unless you're getting vibrations in your steering wheel or butt or noises when braking, I'd just slap some pads on and call it good. Check your rotors inboard/outboard with your eyes and fingertips for wear grooves.
The front brakes will compress using a c clamp or channel locks. Remember to remove the top from the master cylinder so the fluid has a place to go. I usually place a bunch of rags under it to help keep fluid from going everywhere. The rear brakes don’t compress. You must screw the pucks back in.The tool for this is inexpensive and available at most parts stores. I always replace the rotors since they’re not very expensive.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I was replacing front rotors yearly until I got “power stop”. Supposedly made in USA. If I chose to stray from them I’d get oe from Dallasgmparts.com

I’ve had good luck w them, regarding prices and customer service.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
My '05 2500HD truck has dual piston calipers along with my Impala.
The Lisle 25750 dual piston spreader works very nicely on both. IIRC it was around $30 when I bought it several years ago. Everything is going up in price tho.
A C-Clamp and the old brake pads will do the job on the Impala but I wasn't so sure about the monster calipers on the truck.

Reactions: sheila

·
Registered
286 Posts
Since the '90s, I've been using an 11in Locking C-Clamp plier and a flat piece of bar stock to compress caliper pistons. I also have the adapter for the screw in type pistons. If the rotors feel smooth to the touch, I spray them down with brake cleaner and replace the pads. If the rotors and/or pads get replaced, burnishing them is a requirement.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The old pad will work with 2 pistons, also. You might want to try using a large C clamp instead of channel locks, though. As for the rotors, you can have them turned if they are not already worn down too thin. Most people usually replace them, instead. The charge for turning them is usually around $15 each.
Thank you 1954 Chevy, I was able to buy a 4-inch C-clamp and push them back with no problems. I've been riding on my squeak free breaks for about 2 days now with no problems!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts