Impala Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I have a 2012 impala LTZ. It drives great for me - but recently it says "service brake system", "service traction control", "service brake assist" on dashboard. I took it to a local mechanic today and they said the brake fluid leaks - and it will cost me $300 to repair it.

Actually the problem is that it has a similar problem 2 years ago - at that time I took it to the dealership and they say it's a sensor problem, and also I spent ~$300 on it.

Is this normal for an impala? I would expect a better reliability though... Just want to check how often I should expect a repair, or if I should do anything else at this time.

Thanks!

·
Registered
173 Posts
This problem is usually caused by a wiring harness which goes to an ABS sensor at both of your front wheels and degrades over time since the wires are constantly moving as the wheel moves. Its a cheap part and for most should be a DIY project. Sounds like the mechanic was shooting you a line of bull. Did he show you where the brake fluid is leaking from or have you noticed any under your car after sitting? Have you checked the brake fluid reservoir to see if it was low? I was uninformed about this too and had a similar problem repaired at the dealer for about $300 and they replaced the wiring harness. It lasted about a year because it was not routed properly and the problem returned. I wound up replacing both front harnesses myself and haven't had any issues since.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Hi,
I have a 2012 impala LTZ. It drives great for me - but recently it says "service brake system", "service traction control", "service brake assist" on dashboard. I took it to a local mechanic today and they said the brake fluid leaks - and it will cost me $300 to repair it.

Actually the problem is that it has a similar problem 2 years ago - at that time I took it to the dealership and they say it's a sensor problem, and also I spent ~$300 on it.

Is this normal for an impala? I would expect a better reliability though... Just want to check how often I should expect a repair, or if I should do anything else at this time.

Thanks!

I bought a new 2012 Impal LTZ that I no longer own.

Review this bulletin, including pictures: https://gm.oemdtc.com/7628/malfunction-indicator-lamp-mil-on-various-dtcs-set-ipc-inoperative-display-andor-bcm-fuse-blown-2012-2013-chevrolet-impala#more-7628

It may help your situation.

·
Super Moderator
12,441 Posts
Do those messages show up on the DIC at *all* times, or do they just come on at certain times and go away on their own?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They appear shortly after I start the engine, and stay there most of the time. They sometimes disappear while I'm driving but quite rarely.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This problem is usually caused by a wiring harness which goes to an ABS sensor at both of your front wheels and degrades over time since the wires are constantly moving as the wheel moves. Its a cheap part and for most should be a DIY project. Sounds like the mechanic was shooting you a line of bull. Did he show you where the brake fluid is leaking from or have you noticed any under your car after sitting? Have you checked the brake fluid reservoir to see if it was low? I was uninformed about this too and had a similar problem repaired at the dealer for about $300 and they replaced the wiring harness. It lasted about a year because it was not routed properly and the problem returned. I wound up replacing both front harnesses myself and haven't had any issues since.
I actually decided to have it repaired at the mechanic today - I should say I trust him mostly because of some previous repairs. He said the brake fluid level is very low - and the brake already felt strange before the messages came up. The main part is to replace the right rear caliper.

Thanks for the help anyway!

·
Registered
1,071 Posts

Thanks!
Dunno about normal. Have not had these issues with our 2012(knock on wood), that we bought new in July of 2012. Have over 155,000 miles on the car now, have had to replace 3 front wheel bearing/hub assemblies though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts