Impala Forums banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
aka IMPALER
3,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
The LS stuff has good power from the factory just that a lot gets hidden in things like torque management.

a LOT of power can be released relatively easily once you start tinkering.

I don't specifically know about the torque management on that car but I know on many of the trucks if you mash the pedal from a stop it takes 3 full seconds to open the TB all the way. The TB is perfectly capable of instant response, this delay is programmed into the computer to limit stress on the drivetrain(warranty claims).
I'm kind of wondering if they did that with the 'supercharged' Cobalt SS as well (before they switched to the turbo), because from what I've heard the supercharger had so much instant torque that it was just ripping apart the clutch and transmission.

·
Super Moderator
3,936 Posts
I know nothing about those but it seems likely.

Yes the factory HP number is lazy on the Caprice but it is just another 4.00" bore LS motor, do a little research and you will find guy get a lot of power out of them pretty easily.

They kept it scaled back for fleet use, in the hands of enthusiasts will be a whole other story.

·
aka IMPALER
3,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I know nothing about those but it seems likely.

Yes the factory HP number is lazy on the Caprice but it is just another 4.00" bore LS motor, do a little research and you will find guy get a lot of power out of them pretty easily.

They kept it scaled back for fleet use, in the hands of enthusiasts will be a whole other story.
VERY true, they do that a lot. Look at the past LS motors and people will start to see it. The LS1's on the Trans Am & Camaro were dialed down compared to the Corvette. The LSA's are being put on the ZL1 and (i believe) the CTS-V's, because they wouldn't want to put down their flagship sports car (ZR-1) which uses the higher horsepower LS9. Makes a lot of sense business wise, why would u put ur best motor in a car that costs half as much? People wouldn't ever buy the high end model.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts