Impala Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2012 Impala LT 3.6 flex fuel (just now getting 40k miles)

I am considering putting a catch can in my PCV system.
I see quite a few two and three port cans out there.
The back one is the one I always see people put a can in the loop of.
Is it worth it to put one in the front? (The one that just goes into the air cleaner before the throttle body)
If I get a three port and have both the back and front going in and the out going to the back intake port will that work?
What I mean is that back port is under what I would call a metric shit lode of vacuum. And if I hook up both the front and rear ones to the can, will it just suck in mainly from the front and maybe not suck enough from the rear, which I am reading is the main offender of dumping crap onto the intake valves, because it has that little restricter tube back there, (At least that is what I am calling it, it has a very small tube/pipe opening in it).
Does the front one just not have as much crap blowing through it as the back one?
Should I just go with one two port in the rear?
One three port and do both?
Or should I go buck wild and put a separate can in the front and rear?

I rambeled a little bit but I wanted to try and convey my entire thought process and reasoning on the matter.
Thanks for your thoughts / advice in advance - Sas

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
97% of the muck comes through the dirty (rear) pcv side. ~3% comes through the clean (front) side. Air enters through the clean (front) side and is circulated through the engine/crankcase and is expelled via vacuum through the pcv barb. You need to plumb your catch can between the pcv barb and its vacuum port/source. Usually when the crap backs up and comes out the clean (front) side into the big corrugated intake hose, the 3 holes in the pcv barb have plugged. To help prevent this, when I installed my catch can, I drilled out the 2 smaller holes on the barb to 5/64" and the 1 larger hole to 7/64". You can also install an oil separator on the clean front side. The 1 I bought replaced the oil filler cap with a cap with a vacuum port and a removable/cleanable filter. A hose runs from the new cap to the port on the front side of the big corrugated air tube with the blue quick release. The port on the front cam (valve) cover is capped/plugged off. The 2 cans I recommend are the RX can from RevXreme Motorsports or the Elite can from JDP Motorsports. Iirc, they also sell oil separators for the clean front side. I've just got the in/out 2 port cans on my 3 Impalas. All hardware, hoses, clamps, etc. were supplied.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So technically I can get away with just putting one in the rear correct?

(Wow I hope no one takes that sentence out of context)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts