Impala Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To start, I never plug the car in at home because I have a heated attached garage. At work we have a parkade that is mostly covered but open on the sides, with plug ins.

The block heater cord was wrapped around the driver side brace. It wasn't long enough to reach out the grille and even if it was, I would have had to butcher the grille to get the plug through.

I've seen a lot of cars where they just pull the cord out the side and slam the hood on the wire. Between the plug flapping away at highway speeds, and the hood pinching the cord, that doesn't last too long.

I have a roll of 12/3 extension cord that worked perfectly. Very easy to thread through the grille. Put ends on and so far it works flawlessly. I put wire protector on the cord where it goes past the headlight. A future mod is to put a Battery Minder maintainer in as well, this model:

Batteryminders Specials | BatteryMinders.com

Just wondering if there was a better way of doing this install? Has anybody else had any issues with routing the block heater cord?

Attachments

·
Back in Black
4,127 Posts
Don't need one where I live but that looks good and functional as well.

Bit of a pain to have plug coming thru your grill

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks

Front of grille works best for most situations. The parking stall will usually have a plug in right in front, so easy to plug it in

Usually, where I park at work, folks will plug in at temps colder than -10 C or about +20 F. Our plug ins have some do-gooder "green" power cycling gadget. So you might as well plug it in all the time, the block heater is off half the time.

http://www.iplc.com/files/IPLC2006a.pdf

I do know at -30 C, its like you have only plugged in for 20 mins

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Looks good!
The hubbel are the best plugs.
Now you might want a interior car warmer (650 watt) and a battery blanket
(80 watt) added with the block heater places electrical watt load at apx 1400 watts good for a 15 amp 120vac plugin. This is what i use on my autos for the winter.
Note the smart block heater cord will not turn on till -18c or 0 f.
Four hours when the outside is below -18c. This is a base line sugestion time for a car to be pluged in.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep, I used Hubbell plugs. They are well worth the slight extra cost.

Don't really trust car warmers. Every cold snap there are a rash of vehicle fires caused by car warmers. With a block heater, the motor warms up fast enough, with the winter front I usually have hot air blasting out after driving only 5 minutes, even at -35 C

1 - 5 of 5 Posts