Impala Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my power steering was going out and was foaming. I replaced the pump and started to bleed it, when I though I was done with that I turned off my car and the power steering fluid would bubble and overflow. I do not see any leaks anywhere and there is no whining noise, the steering is fine with the car is on or off. I have not test drove it after changing the pump. Any ideas why it is over flowing?

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
So my power steering was going out and was foaming. I replaced the pump and started to bleed it, when I though I was done with that I turned off my car and the power steering fluid would bubble and overflow. I do not see any leaks anywhere and there is no whining noise, the steering is fine with the car is on or off. I have not test drove it after changing the pump. Any ideas why it is over flowing?

Fluid overfilled.

Did you raise the front of the vehicle and with the engine running at idle, slowly rotate the steering wheel from left to right about 10 times?

·
Registered
590 Posts
Sounds like trapped air under the fluid.

C5 is correct, in that it will self bleed when you slowly turning the wheel all the way, lock to lock and back.

Make sure you stop and verify that it is still sufficiently full from time to time as the fluid level goes down.

Turn the wheel slowly giving the air time to leave and the fluid time to replace it.

When finished, do not leave it too full. When you put the cap on and take it back off, the fluid must be correct on the dipstick or it will overflow while driving.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts