Impala Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 2011 Impala with a no crank issue. There is no power going to the solenoid when you try to crank. There is no security light staying on (the lock light comes on when you turn the key on, but goes off.) Followed the solenoid wire all the way back to the harness and everything looked okay. Next stop is under the dash. Where do I even start under there?

·
Registered
588 Posts
I don't want to say this is a Common issue. However have you tried to replace your Starter Relay? I would say try that first.

James

·
Registered
588 Posts
I don't know what a person can or can't do or has or hasn't done. I know that there are some things that you can do for testing with a simple Test light or a DVM and also it is easier for some people to do a test with tools not everyone has laying around.

With that said I guess I need some more info with what you have tried to test what the issue is? I guess one thing have you tried to Start it in N rather then park? Have you tested the Relay for info that it needs to make it work so it can start the car?

I know not everyone has a Starter Bypass Switch that you can connect to your battery and other end to starter, Press the Button and see if it cranks over. People used to do it back in the 70's and 80's with a Screwdriver even. Not that I would do that.

There are things that I would do if it was my car for testing this issue. Not something easy to do over the Internet.

Sorry I couldn't be more help

James

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tested the starter and it is fine. It's getting power to the starter. It's the trip wire for the solenoid that is not getting anything when you try to start it.

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
Tested the starter and it is fine. It's getting power to the starter. It's the trip wire for the solenoid that is not getting anything when you try to start it.
The starter relay controls the solenoid. The ECM (PCM) controls the starter relay. Can you put your finger on the starter relay and have someone try to start it? You want to see if the relay is clicking, if it's getting a signal from the ECM. That will indicate if the problem is between the ECM and relay, or between the relay and solenoid.

Doug

·
Registered
588 Posts
As stated by plano your RELAY is controlled by your BCM and the ECM and so on. If one sends info to the other and the other don't return a ok to start your RELAY will not energize and that will stop the car from cranking... There is a few other things that goes on as well. You did say you tested the Relay with another Relay.

On this Relay setup should be a 4 pin relay. If they are numbered as most are even once for OEM. Would be 85, 86, 87 and 30 there could be an 87A however that wouldn't be used on a Starter Relay. When you remove the Relay you could test that 85 and 86 are getting the info. It would be a 12v between the 2 when someone tries to start the car. If there is no Voltage then your Relay will not energize and send the 12v between 87 and 30. Now in the event that there is 12v on 86 and 85 when someone tries to start the car. you need to look at the Pin 30 for 12v while the car is trying to be started. it would be 12v all the time. In most cases it would be pin 30 however I have seen some that 87 was the 12v and 30 was out to the starter. So if you check pin 30 without 12v be sure to check 87 as well just in case....

To be clear. Remove the Starter Relay, your checking not the RELAY but the place where the relay sits. You can also check the relay if you want very easy with a jumper Wire on from your positive post to 86 of the relay and touching 85 to the ground side of the battery or any ground spot on the car. This will trigger the Relay and while holding it you should feel and also hear the relay click when doing this.. If you do this be careful as you don't want the wire you have touching the + part of the battery coming into contact with ground...

James

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The relay is fine. There is no signal coming to it. So something between the ignition and the relay? Any idea for diagnostics without going to shop?

·
Registered
588 Posts
I never seen an answer to starting in N.

So I guess the next part of the Question seeing I don't know what you know and don't know how to work on a Car!

With the key you said it won't start, you know the starter is good. You know the relay is good. With this information I have to ask. Can your Car run? Did the car Start in Neutral?

The reason I ask, Even if you can't start the car with the key you can still start the car with the Key in and at the RUN position by bypassing the relay, If you have tested this and the car runs then it is easier to track down the issue....

I guess before calling it a Computer you could test your NSS or Neutral Safety Switch. Also I have heard of people having issues related to key where a wire on the gear selector breaks and may want to look in that area to be on the safe side as well...

Sadly if your car while in the Crank position of the key isn't sending power to the Relay either the computer is bad, or bad safety switch.

I am going by this seeing you have stated that your starter is good, the relay is good. But the 85 and 86 are not getting the signal to make the Relay energize.

In the End, Put the car in N, Try and start the car. if it starts then for sure the NSS is bad. IF not Push the car very little and put back in park while making sure it catches in park. Try and start if no start. While in park or N, and the Key to the RUN position make the connection between 30 and 87 of the starter relay socket, If the car starts could be NSS.. IF it don't crank may need to run a wire from the battery to the starter to get it to crank. Most times not all the time. If there is no power going to 85 and 86 to tell the relay to energize then there are other things that are not working related to your car running as well. Like your fuel pump, and coil. Could be Computer related.

Hard to tell when the car isn't here..
Edit. Also could be an Ignition issue as well.
James

·
Registered
588 Posts
That I would also add a couple of other things that you could test as well...

Under the dash on the drivers side left of the steering column is the BCM. Your Ignition 1 wire would be at the BCM Light Green plug pin #14 should Show 12v when you turn on your IGN swtich. The accessory wire Light green plug Pin 21 should show 12v when your on acc

Most of the other parts for your car is under the computers GM Multiplex system and not really testable.... That also goes for the Starter wire. Seeing it used to be before the 06 model you could get starter wires and other things that were not going Though GM Multiplex system easier...

If the Acc or Ign wire don't show 12V when you use the switch it could be a bad IGN switch or computer...

James

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did you ever fix this issue? I have an 06 chevy impala LT with exact the same problem, I tested the starter, all fueses and relay as well, but I have no power on the solenoid

1 - 11 of 11 Posts