Impala Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 6" straight tear on the side of my drivers seat. Not sure how it got there because I don't recall seeing it when I bought it. Anyhow, was told it would cost $160 to $200 to repair. Does that sound right? Has anyone else had this issue and found a fix?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
12,441 Posts
That area of the seat gets stressed frequently - and if you don't "condition" the leather, it can dry out and "crack" like that. That repair cost sounds fair to me.

Depending on the codition of the rest of the seats, you may also want to search ebay to see if you can find a whole set of the stock leather seat covers - who knows, you might get lucky and find a set that someone removed when they bought the car (to replace it with a higher-quality or different color leather). Not likely, but it's worth a shot.

I prefer cloth seats and when I bought my 2012 LT back in 2013 (tan cloth seats), I searched and found a complete like-new set of seat covers for under $200 (but we're talking cloth, not leather). I still have that set hidden away so that when my car gets to have 100k+ miles and the original tan cloth seats have seen better days, I can throw on that spare set and have like-new seats again. :)

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Seriously considering katzkins here for our 12, my kids have pretty well trashed the "titanium" cloth interior in our car. Katzkins are replacements that replace the actual factory seat cover, as in you take the seat cover that is on the seat off and put on the replacement.

As far as the repair, I doubt it will hold for any serious length of time. Like jtrosky mentions, leather has to be conditioned every so often or it will wear prematurely.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice...I'm not sure if the previous owner conditioned them or not...I did when I bought it and the tear developed soon afterwards so I'm thinking they did not. I'll see what I can find.

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
I have a 6" straight tear on the side of my drivers seat. Not sure how it got there because I don't recall seeing it when I bought it. Anyhow, was told it would cost $160 to $200 to repair. Does that sound right? Has anyone else had this issue and found a fix?
Looking at the pic, the break appears to be even with the edge of the black plastic trim, in front, and I suspect, in the back, when someone is sitting on it, that pushes it down onto the trim. I'm wondering if there's a sharp edge there, a vestige of the molding process, that's contributing to the cut.

Regardless of the repair/replace outcome, if the edge is indeed sharp, you might want to take some 320 grit and round it off.

HTH.

Doug

1 - 5 of 5 Posts