Impala Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a 2011 Impala 3.5 that has always run good never an issue it has190K, this past weekend we took a 100 Mi. trip out on the highway average speed 70 good ride no issues until the next day I can hear some light intermittent valve lifter ticking that it didn't seem to do before as it warms up the ticking gets louder then when it's hot the ticking sounds more like chirping it's not 100% continuous stops now and then for a cycle or two it does run and drive fine. I checked the oil and learned my wife added oil a couple of weeks ago and it was over full by one quart I have run Amsoil in Chevy since 39K MI. I did change the oil and exactly the same. I disconnected each spark plug one at a time and connected a dummy plug for the spark to continue the sound didn't change the bottom does seem tight no crank noises, I believe this 3.5 might have a bad lifter it's the chirping sound that's strange anyone have this happen?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I disassembled the engine down to the lifters problem found Bad lifter and cam, I don't know how much the extra oil had to do with it? The oil didn't appear foamed or burnt. Now I have to pull the engine and either replace the cam and lifters or replace the engine.

Liquid Fluid Drinkware Circle Wood

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I showed my wife basic auto maintenance decades ago check oil, windshield washer and things like tire pressure monitors these days so that she can keep an eye on her car and not wait for something to go wrong in between my servicing it. Somehow she misread the oil level most likely didn't push the dip stick all the way down when checking and probably didn't double check after adding oil. My biggest disappointment is an oil related failure with Amsoil that's supposed to be one of the best there is, the oil doesn't feel bad. I am replacing the engine $460 delivered for an engine they say has 96K? It's less work than going through this engine. I have fluid filmed this Impala every year it's in excellent condition worth repairing, my wife would get another impala in a heart beat she really likes the them.

Tony

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The replacement engine with 96K is in Canada however LKQ has a location just a few miles down the road from where I work they have an engine with 129K price is $325 delivered with tax. My next question anyone know if the engine can be removed from the top? I don't have a lift just a hoist.

·
Registered
5 Posts
We have an Equinox and we ran 1 quart over full and hear some ticking noise. Problem with that one is the dipstick doesn't make any sense. There are 2 hash marks and the lower one is after 6 quarts which is what the owners manual calls for and the upper one is 7 quarts. We bought the car used and if you check oil and add to be in the safe zone, you do not know it is over full by 1 quart. This is a picture after adding 6 quarts of oil.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Is the lower crosshatch area for "cold" read and the upper crosshatch area for "hot" read?
I thought about that and asked around, but no one has ever heard that for oils, transmission and power steering has that but generally not oil. Owners manual shows a fully cross hatched dip stick area and not 2.

Didn't mean to hijack this thread!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I viewed the video thanks, I pickup the engine today hopefully I have it running again this weekend.
The engine removal from the top was easy plenty of room no need to remove the radiator. I have the replacement engine all cleaned up with new valve cover gaskets. I believe the extra oil was not the reason for the lifter/camshaft failure running Amsoil and changing the oil once year was most likely the cause, everything inside the original engine is a dark gold/brown color indicating dirty oil, although I don't know the history of the replacement engine that has 128K inside looks bright clean and new. No more Amsoil and now I will run Pennzoil, Quaker State or Castrol full synthetic with changes around 5K.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Bill the Impala is my wife's car if it wasn't so hot and life so busy the last couple of weeks I would have had it done sooner. Her brother is a new car salesman at least once a day I was hearing she could have a new Chevy delivered now that it's done she is happy again!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts