Impala Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a 2011 Chevy Impala Police Variant. I noticed one day when the radiator fans were on high one of the fans stopped spinning. On low I noticed that both fans were spinning. As a result, I thought the problem was related to a bad relay. However, Even when I removed all three fan relays as well as the two Fan fuses the fans continue to operate as they did before. What gives?

·
Registered
38 Posts
So I have a 2011 Chevy Impala Police Variant. I noticed one day when the radiator fans were on high one of the fans stopped spinning. On low I noticed that both fans were spinning. As a result, I thought the problem was related to a bad relay. However, Even when I removed all three fan relays as well as the two Fan fuses the fans continue to operate as they did before. What gives?
With relays removed and fuses pulled the fans shouldn't be operating at all. Inspect the wiring to the fans for any odd looking alterations, splices, non-factory added wiring "jury-rigged" to supply current to run those fans.
Start right at the fans. Look for any unusual "Jumper's" hot-wiring +12VDC to those fans! Forcing cooling fans to operate all the while is a nasty trick previous owners use to hide some latent defect causing overheating. Thermostat. Water-pump. Lower intake gaskets. ( Somebody might be playing dirty pool! )

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Whats weird is that even with all the relays + fuses removed it still operates normally. So when the car is turned on both fans are off. Then when the A/C is turned on or the car heats up they both kick on into low power mode. Then with more heat it goes into High power mode. This makes me assume that something is getting the signals somewhere and switching the fans. Do you think breaking apart the wire cover to inspect each wire individually would be a good idea?

Since the fans off when the car is turned on I assume that someone didn't do a bypass to make them run 24/7, but I am unsure.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts