Impala Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's my thread of predictions we can expect in 2011 from GM regarding the new Chevy Caprice and possibly Chevy impala, so later I can say that you heard it from me first.

During the 20th century the Chevy Impala and Chevy Caprice have co-existed as identical cars. We all have heard that the 2010 Chevy Impala was suppose to be a redesign, which ultimately didn't happen, as a Zeta based car similar to the new 2010 Chevy Camaro or rebadge Holden VE Commodore (another Zeta based car, which was rebadge instead as a Pontiac G8).

Now in the wake of GM's bankruptcy and restructuring, the Pontiac G8 will continue on in 2011 as a Chevy Caprice. This gives us great hope that the Chevy Impala will also return as earlier speculated, as a RWD v8 powered twin. GM has put off the redesign of the Chevy Impala until 2013, but I predict will happen much sooner.

For 2011, it makes perfect sense to redesign the Chevy Impala to keep the cars similar, as many consumers remember the Chevy Impala and Chevy Caprice as being identical. I also doubt they would kill off the name sake in favor of just selling the Chevy Caprice as the Chevy Impala is currently one of their best selling models. With those points in mind, I'm sure GM will not want to be over bloated with clone models offering the same trims, so I believe the model and trim structure will be close to something below.

2011 Chevy Impala SS - 6.2L LS3 V8 (415 hp)
2011 Chevy Caprice LTZ - 6.0L L76 V8 (361 hp)
2011 Chevy Caprice LT - 3.6L LLT V6 (300 hp)
2011 Chevy Caprice LS - 3.6L LY7 V6 (256 hp)

or

2011 Chevy Impala SS - 6.2L LS3 V8 (415 hp)
2011 Chevy Caprice LT - 6.0L L76 V8 (361 hp)
2011 Chevy Caprice LS - 3.6L LLT V6 (300 hp)

Of course we can surely expect a police package for the Chevy Caprice, as there was a prototype LAPD Pontiac G8.

Also the Holden Commodore had a wagon version that was planned to be imported as a Pontiac G8, but was canceled due to poor wagon sales in the U.S. That said, what is possibility that we can expect a Chevy Caprice Wagon?

Another thing is that the Middle East's Chevy Caprice is based on the Holden WM Statesman, which is essentially a Holden Commodore with an extended wheelbase. Is it also possible our Chevy Caprice will be a rebadge Holden WM Statesman instead? Currently in the Middle East, the Holden VE Commodore is rebadged as a Chevy Lumina.

2009 Pontiac G8

Prototype LAPD Pontiac G8

2009 Holden VE Commodore

2009 Holden VE Commodore Wagon

2009 Holden WM Statesman

2009 Chevy Caprice (Middle East)

Attachments

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
One problem... The Commodore is ZETA, the new Imp is going to be on the Epsilon II platform which is FWD w/ an OPTION (though nothing has been said about it being offered) for AWD. The Eps platform can be lengthened or shortened depending on needs.
Last week Lutz said that the G8 would be rebadged as the Chevy Caprice (despite his earlier stand on NOT rebadging any current Pontiac for the GM line up).
Also stated was the fact they are looking @ SMALLER DISPLACEMENT engines for the vehicles, ie no v8s, but turbo 4s and POSSIBLY FI v6s. With the new CAFE crap right around the corner ( and the 2014 models already being discussed @ GM) I have a feeling theres going to be ALOT of changes between now and then (2015).
I just really hope they dont try to force the tiny euro cars on us w/ no option for bigger vehicles :(

·
Registered
913 Posts
One problem... The Commodore is ZETA, the new Imp is going to be on the Epsilon II platform which is FWD w/ an OPTION (though nothing has been said about it being offered) for AWD. The Eps platform can be lengthened or shortened depending on needs.
Last week Lutz said that the G8 would be rebadged as the Chevy Caprice (despite his earlier stand on NOT rebadging any current Pontiac for the GM line up).
Also stated was the fact they are looking @ SMALLER DISPLACEMENT engines for the vehicles, ie no v8s, but turbo 4s and POSSIBLY FI v6s. With the new CAFE crap right around the corner ( and the 2014 models already being discussed @ GM) I have a feeling theres going to be ALOT of changes between now and then (2015).
I just really hope they dont try to force the tiny euro cars on us w/ no option for bigger vehicles :(
So I guess they're gonna go the same route as Ford is with new mustang and Taurus? Start putting twin-turbo v6's in everything?

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
So I guess they're gonna go the same route as Ford is with new mustang and Taurus? Start putting twin-turbo v6's in everything?
after CAFE kicks in I wouldnt be surprised one bit.. until then, v8s will stay in the G8/Caprice

No ImpSS 5.3 anymore though, that got killed this yr (2010 model)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts