Impala Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody here own a 2011+ Chevy Caprice?
How do you like it?
I'm just curious as I've never really looked into these cars until another forum member told me they are RWD and have 6.0L V8's! That's got me interested!

·
Registered
369 Posts
Not all caprice had the 6.0L. I believe they also had the 3.6L in it. I believe they were only sold as a police interceptor in the USA? You may want to look into the Chevy SS if the caprice is something you are interested in.

·
Registered
167 Posts
All of the 2011+ Caprice cars in the US are all police/fleet models in 9C1 trim, so rubber floor mats, cop car console, etc. Expect holes drilled, spotlights, utilitarian interiors, etc. They were manufactured for Chevy by GM's Holden division in Australia. 2017 was the last model year - they closed the factory and ceased production. What is kind of ironic is that the very same car in Australia was Holden's top-of-the-line model with every luxury item you could imagine. In the US it is a cop car. Much of any buyer's/driver's experience will largely depend upon how the first owner (police department) took care of it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Caprice

If you can afford the price, the short wheelbase version of the Caprice was sold in the US by Chevy under the SS badge. Really nice cars, but they have a bit of a cult following and prices don't seem to drop. MSRP was around $50K. However, in terms of options/accessories, it was 180 degrees opposite of the Caprice PPV. Sporty, fast, and well-equipped. You may still be able to buy a new 2017, if you can find one. I think there may be a handful left unsold (maybe all gone by now). Total production on the SS between 2014 and 2017 was something like 10,000 or 12,0000 I think. The platform is much more common in Australia. Funny thing: the Caprice in Australia is Holden's top-of-the-line sedan and here it is a cop car. In Australia, the SS is marketed as the Commodore in a whole bunch of trim levels, which included a cop car.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holden_Commodore_(VF)

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info fellas.

I've looked and drooled all over that damn Chevy SS;
I remember taking a road trip to the Daytona 500 a few years ago in a Chevy SS. That car is an absolute blast to ride in(yes, I didnt even get to drive it but just riding in it alone left a big grin on my face.) I would love to have one of those but ain't no way in hell I can afford that thing! They are getting increasingly popular in my area, used to be only one around town now I seem to see a different one every week or so. Mainly older people have'em ha, guess they are the only ones who can afford them.

Only reason I was asking about these Caprice's is because
A. They're pretty cheap, I know they're ex-cop cars but a few that I've seen on eBay are in pretty good shape for being cop cars and are <10grand

B. They have RWD and had the option of a V8, which is what I would like to have in a Daily driver, was looking at Subaru STI's but that's another really expensive car lol.

Was mainly looking for any feedback from owners to see how they like them or if there were any major "issues". They seem like they'll be a blast to drive.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Not having driven a Caprice PPV I can't comment directly, but I do have SS wheel experience and both cars are kindred vehicles, I am guessing the PPV would be a good ride although I'd expect it to be a little noisier than the SS (more hard interior surfaces, no carpet, less sound proofing?). I wouldn't expect Impala-like fuel economy, though, and the winter drivability (if that applies to you) is probably poorer than the Impala as well.

·
Super Moderator
3,901 Posts
I had an SS for almost 2 years and enjoyed it but traded it in for something faster.
A friend has his and her's Caprices, the 95s are up for sale because they have been replaced with 2011 and 2013. They are fleet cars, rubber everywhere, screwholes, spotlight or push bar holes are possible etc.

Be aware the 6.0l Caprice has DOD, if you like a performance car look into deleting that, never heard anyone happy with that, not even in a truck used as a commuter vehicle. DOD failure while not common is probably the most likely major failure, there have been a handful of recalls, seatbelts, power steering, a wiring harness under the back of the car that can have the electrical tape come loose, then get wrapped up in the driveshaft.................

I got rid of the SS for a few reasons, none of those were "it was a bad car" there were a lot of great things about it. Single biggest reason I got rid of it is I deprived myself of it 4 months of the year since I wouldn't expose it to salt, so I bought something faster, made in higher numbers that I will let myself drive all winter.

On the Caprice engine and tranny parts will have good availability, crash parts definitely not will be slow boat from down under, other mechanical parts I suspect will be hit and miss.

Together Caprice and SS sales in the USA are 20K ish. Not saying that is a deal breaker, just something to be aware of

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Have seen a few TN state trooper caprice models, and pretty sure those had the v8. Yeah, eventually they will be sold and some may end up on ebay.

Could be a very cool project car.

·
Registered
294 Posts
soon as i get done paying off my impala limited. Im most definitely getting a caprice. Cheap RWD v8. That you not gonna see too many ppl besides Cops driving. Something different instead of the camaro, charger, challenger, ss, and g8's everyone have. I guess OP wants to stand out just like i wouldve if i get my hands on one. The 2014+ has the SS like interior. Which is a plus

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ken's right on the money, I'm interested in them cause I like the look and not many around here and of course it has the v8, I've seen one, maybe two but I believe a lot of them are cops from out of town due to living in the capital of florida so there's always a lot of out of town cops here.

That's great information to know about the DOD beforehand, would definitely have to look into getting that feature removed if possible through a tune. I've heard nothing good about that DOD feature on the impala's lol.

One of the caprice's I saw on ebay for sale was already done up as far as sealing up the holes for spotlights and such. Had a full interior from a G6 or G8 swapped into it, he even stated he had the carpet so I'm assuming they are pretty much the same on the inside?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Not exactly the same. The Caprice is a stretched wheelbase version of the SS or G8. I haven't been able to find any suppliers in the US who handle carpet kits for the PPV. In the few PPVs I have seen which have been modified as you describe (maybe we've even seen the same cars on Ebay?), the back seat carpet is too short and doesn't cover the floor completely as it should. Since GM carries market-specific parts, you may not even be able to get a Caprice carpet kit from Chevy - you may have to go the long distance route and get it from Australia.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey guys I'm brand new to this site but I own a 12 Caprice. Great car so far. They come with a lot of need to know issues before you buy one but I absolutely love this car. These are truly built for law enforcement purposes. The prices are great but be prepared to spend a little money on unpolicing a police car. So far I've swapped out G8 seats and console and CTS wheels. Lots of other things on the list. So do your research before you jump into a project like one of these. With that said, it has lots of power, big brakes, handles great, huge back seat and trunk, and just a blast to drive. Shopping for G8s when I ran across these and had to have one.

Hope this helped. Any questions just ask.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Hey guys I'm brand new to this site but I own a 12 Caprice. Great car so far. They come with a lot of need to know issues before you buy one but I absolutely love this car. These are truly built for law enforcement purposes. The prices are great but be prepared to spend a little money on unpolicing a police car. So far I've swapped out G8 seats and console and CTS wheels. Lots of other things on the list. So do your research before you jump into a project like one of these. With that said, it has lots of power, big brakes, handles great, huge back seat and trunk, and just a blast to drive. Shopping for G8s when I ran across these and had to have one.

Hope this helped. Any questions just ask.
Trust i did all the research on that caprice. The camshaft is the no. 1 thing to look at. The engine mounts, ac condenser, wheel bearings, and radiator sometimes have issues. If you have the pre 2014 you have to reprogram the radio.

Nice caprice. btw

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks. Yes the radio has to be pulled and sent for programming. The rubber floors are nice actually. I'm still running the DOD cam set up until it gives me problems.
If you did the research and don't mind the quirks, you will enjoy the hell out of it. Of course it's about $40k less than the SS also. It's a fun car and pretty rare and exclusive. Won't get noticed much except by people who know the difference. The rear end looks almost identical to the impala from the same time. Go for it. Join the very small club.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The new Caprice is a rebadged Pontiac G8 GT with some fugly body panels. I had a G8 GT before and loved it. If you're looking for something that will surprise the hell out of people this is a car that would do it.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Saw a caprice on ebay yesterday claiming to be producing 600 hp on a dyno, think it was a 13 model. No bids with the start at 23 grand. That could make for a lot of fun.

·
Super Moderator
3,901 Posts
When I bought my SS I had initially begun looking for a Caprice, but they are UGLY and I couldn't do the cheap cop interior full of holes and knew the LS3 in the SS would be a little easier to modify. I thought I would keep that car forever and modify it. Kept it 23months and just shy of 16k miles. The SS doesn't look like what it is but it isn't ugly, just looks like a Malibu with some Impala cues.

If you have the patience and time though the buyin is a LOT cheaper on the Caprice and with kids the extra leg room may be appreciated. I really liked the Mag-ride on the 2015-17 SS go from Impala soft maybe softer to corner carver at the wist of a knob.

That said the soft torque curve of the LS motors and torque management always left me a little disappointed, I replaced the car with one that has a smaller MOTOR as opposed to a bigger engine.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts