Impala Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I joined up here looking for information and advice on the transmission in our 2010 Impala. Thanks for having me aboard! Transmission has definitely bought the farm. I took the axle shaft out of the passenger side (closest to where it was dripping out all of the fluid) Took the round housing that was behind where the axle shaft goes into the transmission. When I pulled it off small chunks, bits and pieces fell out. The differential bit the dust and in doing so cracked the main transmission case. Like I said transmission is shot. Any thoughts of what would have caused this? Was wife’s car and was never beat on although it does have nearly 130k miles. I am leaning toward putting a used transmission in it. I have the garage, jack stands, and a vintage manual Walker transmission jack. From my research I think the best bet for me would be to leave the engine in and drop it out the bottom. Does anybody here have any advice, opinions, or experience with this to share? I am mechanically inclined but looks to me like a heck of a job and not looking forward to it.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I joined up here looking for information and advice on the transmission in our 2010 Impala. Thanks for having me aboard! Transmission has definitely bought the farm. I took the axle shaft out of the passenger side (closest to where it was dripping out all of the fluid) Took the round housing that was behind where the axle shaft goes into the transmission. When I pulled it off small chunks, bits and pieces fell out. The differential bit the dust and in doing so cracked the main transmission case. Like I said transmission is shot. Any thoughts of what would have caused this? Was wife’s car and was never beat on although it does have nearly 130k miles. I am leaning toward putting a used transmission in it. I have the garage, jack stands, and a vintage manual Walker transmission jack. From my research I think the best bet for me would be to leave the engine in and drop it out the bottom. Does anybody here have any advice, opinions, or experience with this to share? I am mechanically inclined but looks to me like a heck of a job and not looking forward to it.
I see no one supplied an answer. Wondering what you managed to do.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Went to the insurance salvage auction and bought a wrecked Impala. (cheaper than buying a salvage yard transmission) Ripped the transmission out of it and put installed in wife's car. It was a chore but all better now. Still have no idea what really caused it. By the way I have lots of extra Impala parts now.
Tire Car Wheel Vehicle Land vehicle

1 - 4 of 4 Posts