Impala Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The horn itself works. The fuse is good. I have checked both Chilton and Haynes manuals for horn wiring and they are non-existent in both -- at least I did not see a horn wiring diagram. The diagrams in on-line searches are hazy, probably for a reason. I am sure that the problem is either the horn buttons or the horn relay and it would be great if I knew which color (tan?) wire carried the horn signal from the steering column so I do not have to mess with the airbag unless necessary. If I am unsuccessful in finding the wire, then I will remove the fuse box under the hood and see if I can flip it to reach the horn relay connections. Can someone please shed some light on this issue? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
The horn itself works. The fuse is good. I have checked both Chilton and Haynes manuals for horn wiring and they are non-existent in both -- at least I did not see a horn wiring diagram. The diagrams in on-line searches are hazy, probably for a reason. I am sure that the problem is either the horn buttons or the horn relay and it would be great if I knew which color (tan?) wire carried the horn signal from the steering column so I do not have to mess with the airbag unless necessary. If I am unsuccessful in finding the wire, then I will remove the fuse box under the hood and see if I can flip it to reach the horn relay connections. Can someone please shed some light on this issue? Thanks in advance
I've attached a drawing I found. You are correct, the tan wire from the steering wheel goes to the horn relay. The BCM taps the same tan wire so it too can blow the horn.

I have had a couple horn switches fail over the years. In each case, the mechanism in the steering wheel shorted out. I think the way these work, there are two layers of foil separated by an insulation layer with holes in it - think Swiss cheese - such that when pressure is applied to the outer foil, it touches the inner foil thereby completing the connection. In my case, this mechanism resides just under the cover of the air bag and hence requires replacing the airbag. For my 1997 F-150, I replaced it with one from a junk yard.

So, if you're not getting a signal out of the steering column, you may find yourself messing with the air bag anyway. You could have a bad horn switch (ie, membrane), a broken wire between there and the clock spring, or a bad clock spring.

Doug

[Edit]BTW, in the drawing, the 6J4 reference is for an RPO code for "WIRING PROVISIONS-HORN/SIREN CIRCUIT". That is, for police cars, the connector X266 will be present to facilitate connecting a siren.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've attached a drawing I found. You are correct, the tan wire from the steering wheel goes to the horn relay. The BCM taps the same tan wire so it too can blow the horn.

I have had a couple horn switches fail over the years. In each case, the mechanism in the steering wheel shorted out. I think the way these work, there are two layers of foil separated by an insulation layer with holes in it - think Swiss cheese - such that when pressure is applied to the outer foil, it touches the inner foil thereby completing the connection. In my case, this mechanism resides just under the cover of the air bag and hence requires replacing the airbag. For my 1997 F-150, I replaced it with one from a junk yard.

So, if you're not getting a signal out of the steering column, you may find yourself messing with the air bag anyway. You could have a bad horn switch (ie, membrane), a broken wire between there and the clock spring, or a bad clock spring.

Doug

Thank you so very much for your invaluable help. You have also provided a diagram that I had looked for in vain. I can now isolate the problem to either the horn buttons/foil or the associated relay (presuming it is not an unlikely wire break). Additionally, I did not think to look at grounding the BCM as a means of isolating. Thanks again.

brodon

1 - 3 of 3 Posts