Impala Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just crossed 149k miles on my 2010 LS with 16 inch wheels. i'm over due for new struts and want to do the strut/spring replacement on all 4 corners. there is a potential for a summer tire upgrade to the double 5 spoke rims from the LTZ's (i think they are 18 inch tires) in the future assuming i can find a good pair for the right price.

with that being said, are there anything to watch out for as far as clearance issues with the larger tires (i'd be staying with the factory width that came with the LTZ's). i'd like to go with the police struts to get a little better handling in the corners while maintaining a fairly smooth ride. i'm just looking for something a little better that is comfortable for long hauls, not total performance.

i was leaning towards the Moog/Monroe struts and was wondering what the general consensus for what everyone has had good luck with.

Just looking for input on what people found when upgrading their struts. thank you in advance,

Joe

·
Registered
308 Posts
I used Monroe Quick Struts on my 07 LT I had. But before I installed them I put lowering springs on the struts. I had aftermarket 18 inch wheels. I'm not sure of the specs of the LTZ wheels but you should be fine.

As for the struts themselves, I had no issues while they were actually used. The car was totaled a couple months after installing them. Again I had lowering springs on mine so it was a bit stiff but handled well. Hopefully someone else can help you out more then I am able to :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I used Monroe Quick Struts on my 07 LT I had. But before I installed them I put lowering springs on the struts. I had aftermarket 18 inch wheels. I'm not sure of the specs of the LTZ wheels but you should be fine.

As for the struts themselves, I had no issues while they were actually used. The car was totaled a couple months after installing them. Again I had lowering springs on mine so it was a bit stiff but handled well. Hopefully someone else can help you out more then I am able to :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I had heard at one time Monroe was top of the line, i wasn't sure if that was still true or not. i'm definitely going quick strut and the Monroe's would be 50 cheaper than the delco's.....

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Monroe Quickstrut police package struts work great if you have 16 or 17" wheels, but if you're planning on getting 18" wheels, they might rub against the strut plate. KY ready struts are another great option. I have the Quickstruts and they're perfect with my 17" LTZ wheels.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Monroe Quickstrut police package struts work great if you have 16 or 17" wheels, but if you're planning on getting 18" wheels, they might rub against the strut plate. KY ready struts are another great option. I have the Quickstruts and they're perfect with my 17" LTZ wheels.
did you notice any higher ride height as a result of the police quick struts? did it help with the handling at all, mainly body roll in the corners? also with the rubbing for an 18 inch rim, is it the width that might make it rub or the height in general might be pushing it too close to the strut plate?

Thank you guys for the replies.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I've seen the KYB "ready struts" mentioned in a few different threads. Are these the same as the "Strut-Plus" described on KYB's website or different?

Cheers!

·
Registered
'12/'13/'16 Limited LT's
3,521 Posts
I've used both on several Fords I've owned and hands down KYB's have performed better and proven more reliable/durable than the Monroe's. Iirc, Monroe went through some quality control issues a while back, but in all fairness, may have resolved them to date. Knocks, clunks, etc. My only experiences are with the Monroe Quick-Struts vs. the KYB Struts-Plus, not with the individual struts/shocks. If you go with Monroe, definitely go with the black Monroe Quickstrut equipped with the black Sensa-Trac struts. Their blue Econo-Matic quickstrut is their cheaper, less or non-warrantied offering.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have put the black monroe quick struts on the grand prix (traded in with 70,000 on the sturts riding well still), the impala, and the wife's corolla.

They are a good stock replacement. For the price during their seemingly annual october sale, they can't be beat for that purpose.

I would assume that the kyb ise something similiar to the gr2 strut which would mean their quick strut being a "10%" improvement over stock.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you everyone for the input, i'll probably end up going with the KYB. waiting on taxes to cover the cost of the struts. i will probably install myself/enlist a mechanic friend for the install. after the install a 4 wheel alignment as it's been 50k or so. i have a trans-filter change due as well in the near future...

·
Super Moderator
10,955 Posts
There's a post on here about it someplace with an attached TSB and part number and placement position as well. I will have to go and look for it.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
picked up the KYB complete struts for all four corners and had them shipped to the parents place (nice barn to work in). now just have to make the trip up there and schedule the alignment afterwords, will cost about two days of time off (i'm not complaining a bit! LOL). also had the trans service done and forgot about to the magnets. the shop i go through is trusted and they didn't say anything showed up. i had been getting a weird "slip" very occasionally on take offs at low rpm but they couldn't find a code on it. i figure when the trans fails i'll just rebuild it and do a shift kit to eliminate those damn soft shifts this car has. i don't mind if it shifts harder as i know it's making the shift without slipping each time.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
after having the kyb's on my 2010 since spring i can say that once they completely broke in they are similar to stock in feel. a little on the firm side, big bumps still hit hard ( i loved them when they were first installed, all nice and plush lol). i guess i can say it corners as well maybe a little better than before (the old struts were bad for a while so i can't remember what it was like when i first got the car).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.