Impala Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Impala LT2 Summit White w/spoiler
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay!

I've done a little work since yesterday and or the last thread: 2010 Impala LT2 17" Rim Swap to LTZ 18"
So I put one of the LTZ rims on the car with the tire that was closest to (235/50R18)'s and that is a very very bald (235/55R18) and the fitment was very worrying for my wallet.
I couldn't even fit my finger between the tire and the strut. I have no idea if this was because it was the wrong size tire, but at the same time, I thought it wouldn't be a problem but I don't know much about tires. I want to see what other people think if I should replace the struts or do something else like spacers. oh and to be clear if you didnt read part one this is a 17" 2010 LT Rim to an 18" LTZ Rim swap. (Pictures Below)

1. Fitment on the 17" in the air
2. 17" Far out fitment
3. Fitment with the 18" in the air
4. 18" Far out fitment
5. Fitment with the 18" on the ground
6. Space between the strut and the bald 235/55R18 is smaller than my finger

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Tread
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tire
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Hood Synthetic rubber
Automotive tire Wood Helmet Hood Bumper

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
1st thing that comes to mind are the quickstruts. Some are only compatible with 16", 17" or 18" wheels. Secondly, you really need to try the correct 18" tire size (235/50/18). Keep in mind, your car came from the factory with either 225/60/16 or 225/55/17.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1st thing that comes to mind are the quickstruts. Some will only fit for 16", 17" or 18" wheels. Secondly, you really need to try the correct 18" tire size (235/50/18).
Okay yeah that's what I thought so I should try to get the right tires first then if it's still too close I should get the struts. if it's still too close after the new tires what struts should I look for?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
1st thing that comes to mind are the quickstruts. Some will only fit for 16", 17" or 18" wheels. Secondly, you really need to try the correct 18" tire size (235/50/18).
Also (235/50/18) for all four right? and I would have no problems with the front.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Okay!

I've done a little work since yesterday and or the last thread: 2010 Impala LT2 17" Rim Swap to LTZ 18"
So I put one of the LTZ rims on the car with the tire that was closest to (235/50R18)'s and that is a very very bald (235/55R18) and the fitment was very worrying for my wallet.
I couldn't even fit my finger between the tire and the strut. I have no idea if this was because it was the wrong size tire, but at the same time, I thought it wouldn't be a problem but I don't know much about tires. I want to see what other people think if I should replace the struts or do something else like spacers. oh and to be clear if you didnt read part one this is a 17" 2010 LT Rim to an 18" LTZ Rim swap. (Pictures Below)

2. 17" Far out fitment
4. 18" Far out fitment

View attachment 165290
View attachment 165291 View attachment 165292 View attachment 165293 View attachment 165294 View attachment 165295
You have to change the struts. The 18" wheel package came with the FE3 suspension upgrade. The struts must be for the FE3 suspension or the tires will rub the strut.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Okay!

2. 17" Far out fitment
4. 18" Far out fitment

View attachment 165290
View attachment 165291 View attachment 165292 View attachment 165293 View attachment 165294 View attachment 165295
All 18" wheel packages required the FE3 suspension upgrade that included different struts and tie rod ends. Your tie rods are ok. Your struts will not work on the 18" wheels because your car did not come with the FE3 suspension upgrade. You must change the struts and they must be compatible with the FE3 suspension.

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
All 18" wheel packages required the FE3 suspension upgrade that included different struts and tie rod ends. Your tie rods are ok. Your struts will not work on the 18" wheels because your car did not come with the FE3 suspension upgrade. You must change the struts and they must be compatible with the FE3 suspension.
What's the difference in the outer tie rod ends?

·
Registered
20 Posts
What's the difference in the outer tie rod ends?
They are slightly longer and a little more robust than those with the other suspension packages. I think the thread size may be different as well. I'm not sure on that though. If your car didn't come with the FE3 suspension, then you don't have to change them if your wanting to upgrade to the 18" wheels. The struts, however, must be replaced with FE3 compatible struts. If your car came with the FE3 suspension, and you replace your tie rods, they need to be for the FE3 suspension. Also, if you have to change your steering rack, there are differences as well between the suspensions. I think there are three. The FE1, FE2 and FE3.The chart that shows all the RPO for your vehicle either stuck on your glove box, or in the trunk on the spare cover, shows what suspension your vehicle has.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
They are slightly longer and a little more robust than those with the other suspension packages. I think the thread size may be different as well. I'm not sure on that though. If your car didn't come with the FE3 suspension, then you don't have to change them if your wanting to upgrade to the 18" wheels. The struts, however, must be replaced with FE3 compatible struts. If your car came with the FE3 suspension, and you replace your tie rods, they need to be for the FE3 suspension. Also, if you have to change your steering rack, there are differences as well between the suspensions. I think there are three. The FE1, FE2 and FE3.The chart that shows all the RPO for your vehicle either stuck on your glove box, or in the trunk on the spare cover, shows what suspension your vehicle has.
Yeah my car has the FE2 package

·
Registered
20 Posts
You have to change the struts. The 18" wheel package came with the FE3 suspension upgrade. The struts must be for the FE3 suspension or the tires will rub the strut.
I failed to mention, when changing to the 18" wheels, that require FE3 compatible struts, the coils springs will have to be replaced as well as they are specific to each suspension type.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I failed to mention, when changing to the 18" wheels, that require FE3 compatible struts, the coils springs will have to be replaced as well as they are specific to each suspension type.
I'm just trying to figure out my best bet for the struts Because I know I can do KYB quickstruts but I wanna look at other options and I have no idea where to start

·
Registered
20 Posts
As well, you have to replace the coil springs if you change to FE3 compatible struts as they are different lengths. The coil springs are specific to the type of suspension. FE3 struts are slightly shorter between the springs to accommodate the taller 18" wheels so the tires do not rub the bottom of the strut. The coil springs, as well, are slightly shorter for the FE3 struts.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm just trying to figure out my best bet for the struts Because I know I can do KYB quickstruts but I wanna look at other options and I have no idea where to start
As well, being Chevrolet didn't give camber adjustments on the Impalas, you may cause a camber problem when converting to FE3 struts to accommodate the 18" wheels.
I went down this road several years ago. I have a 2010 Impala LTZ with the FE3 suspension. I replaced the struts not knowing the differences. The struts were for the FE2 suspension which is more common. My tires rubbed the struts. Instead of reinstalling the old struts, I used a big sledge and beat the lower coil support up to acquire a gap. In using the FE2 struts, it caused a negative camber issue. The inside of my tires wore premature. Not having the ability to adjust for camber, I had to replace tires more frequently. Then it hit me. The FE2 struts were the issue. Finally replaced with FE3 struts and the camber issue was resolved. Might want to weigh the cost of an 18" wheel swap. It will require new struts and springs and, as well, may create a camber issue. Also, the 18" tires can be limited and hard to find and are usually more expensive.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
As well, being Chevrolet didn't give camber adjustments on the Impalas, you may cause a camber problem when converting to FE3 struts to accommodate the 18" wheels.

I went down this road several years ago. I have a 2010 Impala LTZ with the FE3 suspension. I replaced the struts not knowing the differences. The struts were for the FE2 suspension which is more common. My tires rubbed the struts. Instead of reinstalling the old struts, I used a big sledge and beat the lower coil support up to acquire a gap. In using the FE2 struts, it caused a negative camber issue. The inside of my tires wore premature. Not having the ability to adjust for camber, I had to replace tires more frequently. Then it hit me. The FE2 struts were the issue. Finally replaced with FE3 struts and the camber issue was resolved. Might want to weigh the cost of an 18" wheel swap. It will require new struts and springs and, as well, may create a camber issue. Also, the 18" tires can be limited and hard to find and are usually more expensive.
Yeah it's just the factor that I already have the rims

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
I was just curious about the outer tie rods because I replaced them on a son's '16 LT Limited which has the FE2 suspension and I had 2 new outers for the FE3 suspension in the cellar and installed them with no alignment issues. They threaded on fine and, iirc, were the same length as the AC Delcos that came off. I knew there was supposed to be difference, but I couldn't see 1 visually. Back to the Weirski's dilemma, lol. Will his 18" wheel/tire combo rub his current quickstruts on just the rears or all 4 corners?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts