Impala Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all!
What exactly does the dealer do for the airbag recall on the 2009's? looks like they just wrapped the wires in electrical tape to me, they never even replaced the harness properly, just dangling there...
The light is still on as well... codes show pretension er and side airbag... b0021-OD for the side airbag, I don't recall the pretensioner code... I reset the SIR codes, and they come right back..
I disconnected the yellow connector from under the seat, reset the codes, and the same codes come up... I'm convinced it's something with the wire harness that they did not fix.
Before I tear the passenger seat apart, I was hoping someone knew exactly what the safety recall dealer instructions entailed. I am sure this current fault is directly due to the recall...
at this point I don't trust the dealership to fix coffee :-( The yellow plug was not even fully seated when I just looked at it!!

thanks all!
Mike B

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If the light was still on after the safety recall work, why didn’t you speak with the service advisor and refuse to accept the vehicle until it was repaired properly?
they claimed that it was a faulty pre-tensioner and quoted me $350 to replace it... All they did was run the SIR codes and did nothing else... the SIR codes were the same with the harness plugged and unplugged...

I pulled it all apart shortly after posting, the dealership did a shoddy job at best.. and that assumes they did ANYTHING, as it does not appear they did anything other than unplug the yellow connector halfway.... the side bag and pretensioner plug wasn't even plugged in all the way, and it does not appear that they did anything to the wire harness, unless they wrapped it in 10 year old electrical tape that was sticky on both sides and just felt like 10 year old electrical tape...
I pulled out the seat and removed all the tape, inspected the wire and there was no damage to the wires... so I looked at the yellow plug, the main one that they left half plugged in... like literally, they didnt' even try to seat it completely as it was at least a quarter inch apart...
I noticed some corrosion on the connectors, cleaned them up with a small file, sprayed contact cleaner in there, plugged it all up, reset the DTC and no more light ;-) Then I wrapped the wires in purple electrical tape, routed them properly as the dealership just left the whole harness just dangling there, and all is well now :)

so I basically did what the dealership was supposed to do to take care of the safety recall for the wiring harness.... took me all of half an hour to complete the work that they needed an entire day with my car to complete....

what pisses me off is that if I was "joe anyone", and I didn't have my scan diagnostic tool, or even a scan tool that does SRS systems, I would have had to pay that $350 they quoted me... in the end they would have cleaned the connector, and charged me $350 for a half hour's work.... friggin crooks!

Mike B

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
oh, and the safety recall simply states that they will wrap the wire harness in "abrasion resistant tape" and repair any broken wires if any found.... I saw zero sign of any new tape at all on the harness... I should have video'd it, but it's not worth it to me to fight with them as I didn't pay for anything due to it being a safety recall...

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
I’m glad you were able to fix the problem - and I can understand how you are frustrated with the poor dealer service.

Here is a link to the safety recall TSB, with color photos on how to inspect and repair the wiring: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2016/RCSB-16V507-7221.pdf

Perhaps at a different dealer, you could have the recall done properly to avoid future problems?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I’m glad you were able to fix the problem - and I can understand how you are frustrated with the poor dealer service.

Here is a link to the safety recall TSB, with color photos on how to inspect and repair the wiring: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2016/RCSB-16V507-7221.pdf

Perhaps at a different dealer, you could have the recall done properly to avoid future problems?
thank you! that is exactly what I was looking for! I wanted to see exactly what the dealership was supposed to do to fix the issue. I saw no woven tape anywhere along the harness at all, just really old "assembly line" type, gummy and sticky, old type of electrical tape.... I'll have to look in this exact spot that the TSB mentions, thank you for sending me that!
and of course the light was still on when I got my car back, all it really needed was the yellow plug to be cleaned, how can any mechanic NOT at least clean the contacts....

Mike B

1 - 7 of 7 Posts