Impala Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2009 Chevy Impala LT, 3.5 V-6, 125K on odo, traction control light on, ABS light on dash; could bad wheel sensor cause both lights on dash? How do I know if transaxle solenoids are bad and causing lights to glow?

Impala Steve

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
2009 Chevy Impala LT, 3.5 V-6, 125K on odo, traction control light on, ABS light on dash; could bad wheel sensor cause both lights on dash? How do I know if transaxle solenoids are bad and causing lights to glow?
I think what we've learned about this problem is it's usually due to broken/damaged wires from the wheel speed sensors, but not the sensors themselves. Altho, at 125K, the wheel bearings could be going, which can in turn affect the sensors.

Jack it up and check the bearings for play. Have you noticed any road noise?

If the bearings (ie, hubs) are OK, check the wires. Disconnect at the sensor, and remove the wire from the loom, then remove the sheath. Inspect for breaks, kinks and exposed copper. The damage is typically due to flexing of the wires where they transition from the sub-frame to the control arm.

Replacement pigtail harnesses are available at parts stores. They need to be soldered in, somewhere upstream of the control arm joint.

HTH.

Doug

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think what we've learned about this problem is it's usually due to broken/damaged wires from the wheel speed sensors, but not the sensors themselves. Altho, at 125K, the wheel bearings could be going, which can in turn affect the sensors.

Jack it up and check the bearings for play. Have you noticed any road noise?

If the bearings (ie, hubs) are OK, check the wires. Disconnect at the sensor, and remove the wire from the loom, then remove the sheath. Inspect for breaks, kinks and exposed copper. The damage is typically due to flexing of the wires where they transition from the sub-frame to the control arm.

Replacement pigtail harnesses are available at parts stores. They need to be soldered in, somewhere upstream of the control arm joint.

HTH.

Doug

Thank you for your reply and advice, Doug..

1 - 3 of 3 Posts