Impala Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello again.
Back with another issue. My Drive on the shifter works fine but when I try to go into 3 2 or 1 I do not get a good engagement. The light around the gear on the dash doesn't light up corresponding to the gear. I have to go a little past the shift position for it to engage then shift. It hasn't been an issue since I don't use it that often but I like things to work. I noticed this after I just had my transmission serviced. They changed the filter and fluid. Thanks for the help let me know if you need any more info.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Hello again.
Back with another issue. My Drive on the shifter works fine but when I try to go into 3 2 or 1 I do not get a good engagement. The light around the gear on the dash doesn't light up corresponding to the gear. I have to go a little past the shift position for it to engage then shift. It hasn't been an issue since I don't use it that often but I like things to work. I noticed this after I just had my transmission serviced. They changed the filter and fluid. Thanks for the help let me know if you need any more info.

There is a transmission shifter cable attached to the top of transmission, on the left (driver) side of the engine compartment - in front of the firewall, and below and slightly forward of the brake vacuum booster.

Examine the cable connection and grommet. Is the connection secure and the grommet in good shape? If the grommet deteriorates, it can prevent the cable shifter from properly shifting the transmission lever into the proper position. Ensure nothing is obstructing the cable and / or transmission lever.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Hello again.

One additional issue.

GM had issued a TSB on several years of the 8th generation models (starting in 2007) that instructed the dealer to reposition the wiring harness for the brake shifter interlock which is mounted on the transmission shifter, under the console.

The wiring was routed incorrectly, and if the shifter was pulled further back (than placing it in drive mode), it could stretch the wiring and eventually break it or pull one or more wires out of the connector. If this happened, the brake-shifter interlock would not function and the transmission could not be shifted out of park position.

I do not have a link or copy to post - but if you do a search on this forum or the Internet, you should easily find it. Your car may have this problem, and you are reaching the end of the wiring “stretching” when you pull the lever further back from the drive position.

The fix was to remove the console and reposition the harness.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
One additional issue.

GM had issued a TSB on several years of the 8th generation models (starting in 2007) that instructed the dealer to reposition the wiring harness for the brake shifter interlock which is mounted on the transmission shifter, under the console.

The wiring was routed incorrectly, and if the shifter was pulled further back (than placing it in drive mode), it could stretch the wiring and eventually break it or pull one or more wires out of the connector. If this happened, the brake-shifter interlock would not function and the transmission could not be shifted out of park position.

I do not have a link or copy to post - but if you do a search on this forum or the Internet, you should easily find it. Your car may have this problem, and you are reaching the end of the wiring “stretching” when you pull the lever further back from the drive position.

The fix was to remove the console and reposition the harness.
When I bought the car this was what was wrong. I got it for $350 because of this. Easy fix. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There is a transmission shifter cable attached to the top of transmission, on the left (driver) side of the engine compartment - in front of the firewall, and below and slightly forward of the brake vacuum booster.

Examine the cable connection and grommet. Is the connection secure and the grommet in good shape? If the grommet deteriorates, it can prevent the cable shifter from properly shifting the transmission lever into the proper position. Ensure nothing is obstructing the cable and / or transmission lever.
This was the issue. The shift linkage bushing had fallen out. Going to pick up a doorman 14104 bushing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts