Impala Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have this really weird problem with the headlights on my 09 Impala and I'm hoping somebody knows how I can fix it.

When I first turn the car on, neither of the headlights come on automatically like they used to. To turn the driver side headlight on I have to flash my brights and then it comes on. To turn the passenger side light on I have to smack it. I literally have to get out, walk to the front of my car, hit the headlight and then it turns on.

Has anybody else had these issues? What causes this? How do I fix it?

I'm new to this site but I can try to post a video later if that would help.

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
954 Posts
I have this really weird problem with the headlights on my 09 Impala and I'm hoping somebody knows how I can fix it.

When I first turn the car on, neither of the headlights come on automatically like they used to. To turn the driver side headlight on I have to flash my brights and then it comes on. To turn the passenger side light on I have to smack it. I literally have to get out, walk to the front of my car, hit the headlight and then it turns on.

I'm new to this site but I can try to post a video later if that would help.

Thanks in advance!
Hi DBImpala,

We regret to hear you’re experiencing a concern with the headlights on your Impala. We work hard to build high quality products and recognize the frustration you may be feeling. Have you brought your vehicle to the dealership to have your headlights looked at? Since we are not certified technicians, we rely heavily on the dealership’s expertise to diagnose vehicles.

If we can help get you in touch with the dealership, please send us a private message with your VIN, mileage, full contact information, and preferred dealership.

Kindly,

Steph B
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Registered
2,987 Posts

The headlight connectors go bad resulting in too much resistance - so much that the lights don't come on.

The repair is to replace the connector on the wiring harness (where it connects to the bulb). You can get ordinary replacement pigtail connectors (with wires attached) for about 10 bucks each (plus installation). But you will want to get a more durable connector, usually characterized as being ceramic.

These are bit harder to find - not so readily available at parts stores. But they should last longer.

They need to be soldered in place. If you can't do it, find a friend or neighbor who can solder, and have them install them for you. And give them a 12-pack of their favorite beverage :)

I know I've had to replace both low beam connectors on my 2007 Pontiac, and, IIRC, one on my 2007 SS. So I know it's not uncommon on GM models.
When I first experienced the issue, I just replaced the bulb, only to have it go out a few days later. Replacing it - extracting and inserting the bulb into the connector - had the effect of cleaning the contacts a bit, which then provided a good connection to the bulb...but only for a few days. Then it quit working again. So a replacement connector was called for, if I wanted it to stay fixed. BTW, like you, I found that banging on the headlight would turn it on for a while, but was not a durable repair :)

HTH.

Doug

·
Registered
36 Posts
I know this won't help, but when my 08s passenger side low beam headlight quit working, blowing the horn made it start working again Maybe because the horns were right below the headlight and the vibration made the wires make contact again. In the end it was a burnt wiring harness

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
I was instructed by my wife today to fix the driver's side headlight on our 2013 Impala. My first thought was, "Surely GM got the bad connector problem fixed by 2013."

When I got to the car, I turned on the lights, and the driver's side low beam was indeed out. After removing the fasteners and getting the housing out, I opened it up and removed the bulb only to have it light up as I handled it. My next thought was that touching it caused the presumably bad connector to make contact and begin working again.

But after inspecting the bulb, I satisfied myself it was a broken filament which had reconnected itself to light up.

I was able to replace the bulb with one I had in my stash, likely left over from replacing a good bulb when chasing the connector issue on my old Pontiac a few years ago :)

For sure, I am relieved to not be chasing connector issues again :) And I didn't mind saving a few bucks by not having to buy another H11 bulb :)

Doug

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.