Impala Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!

I'm new to this forum, and I just wanted to be sure on this since I couldn't find a direct answer. I'm doing my first oil change for this car and I was wondering if the '09 3.5L needs an oil drain plug gasket? If so, should I use one of those copper crush gaskets or a rubber one? Is there a specific brand for the gaskets that you guys prefer? I've watched videos on the oil change for this car, and it seems to vary from video to video. I'm not a car guy in the slightest, but I enjoy doing oil changes on my vehicles!

I really appreciate any and all responses, just wanna be extra certain!

Thanks,
-Cameron

·
Registered
25 Posts
I've always asumed that the gasket and the drain plug was one piece. Dormanproducts.com show the drain plug and gasket together. I know my 09 3.5L has this drain plug. Auto part

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ah, okay thanks for the reply, Bill! I guess I'll have to give it a shot to see what my drain plug looks like. Looks like a rubber gasket on that picture, so I'll buy an extra rubber one just in case it's not attached!

Thanks again!
-Cameron

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Ah, okay thanks for the reply, Bill! I guess I'll have to give it a shot to see what my drain plug looks like. Looks like a rubber gasket on that picture, so I'll buy an extra rubber one just in case it's not attached!

Thanks again!
-Cameron

The gasket on the drain bolt is pressed into the head of the bolt. If it is missing, you should buy another bolt and not use a generic rubber washer.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts