Impala Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2009 Impala all power dies when trying to start car and key is locked in ignition. Car does not even attempt to start at all... just a click power is gone. No, light, no power lock, no dash or interior lights, no gauges... nothing. A few minutes later I hear a click and then power is restored and key is unlocked and all lights, dash, horn and everything works again. Everything worked fine until I replaced battery 2 days ago. At one point while all power was dead inside I heard a buzzing under the hood. Turned out to be fuel pump release. Had to remove negative battery cable to stop it... negative battery cable was VERY hot. Just looking for any pointers as to what I should be looking for. I've had both alternator and battery tested and they are good. Several months ago I had to repair the shift lock cable as one of the wires had broken. Other than that I've not had to work on anything on the car.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
91 Posts
That problem has happened to me when one or both battery cables had a bad connection, the first place to check would be right at the posts of the battery... Corrosion or looseness of any kind, it will cut off power the instant you try to start the car.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
38 Posts
I as well would start with the connections at the battery. Start with the simplest thing first and then move on. Sounds like resistance of some sort that would cause the cables to get hot. It could be at the starter as well, I have seen that many times before. I am having starting issues with my 03 as well but mine is from some sort of parasitic draw over night. Good luck...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
2009 Impala all power dies when trying to start car and key is locked in ignition. Car does not even attempt to start at all... just a click power is gone. No, light, no power lock, no dash or interior lights, no gauges... nothing. A few minutes later I hear a click and then power is restored and key is unlocked and all lights, dash, horn and everything works again. Everything worked fine until I replaced battery 2 days ago. At one point while all power was dead inside I heard a buzzing under the hood. Turned out to be fuel pump release. Had to remove negative battery cable to stop it... negative battery cable was VERY hot. Just looking for any pointers as to what I should be looking for. I've had both alternator and battery tested and they are good. Several months ago I had to repair the shift lock cable as one of the wires had broken. Other than that I've not had to work on anything on the car.
i got exactly same problem in my 2014 impala, this happens once or twice a week and power restore after 2,3 minutes. and clock reset every time.
I check with Chevy technician and he recommend to change all negative and positive cables of battery and fuse box on positive terminal of battery. as per him resistance is high on these cables.
shall i go for changing all cables or check the ground?
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top