Impala Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2009 9c1 that I am rebuilding has the following codes-P0010 (intake camshaft position actuator circuit open) , P0102 (maf low input), P0449 (evap emission system vent control circuit), P0455 (evap emission leak detected), P0172 (too rich). The p0010 and p0102 are repeated 3 times. The engine seems to run good. What are some things I can check that could be causing these codes and does a combination of these codes point to one thing in particular?

·
Registered
588 Posts
Sadly I hate to say it but being where the car came from, what was done with the car. I would assume that most of the issues is going to be wiring related. It could be that there are some issues with the hardware but I would start with your wiring. Best to find some that are in the same area if not all in the same area of wiring, Have a Multi meter, OBD II Reader and do some testing. This could be with the OBD II in place looking over your MAF lets say, Then move the wiring harness that holds the wires for it around until you can find a fault.. You can also probe your wiring, Do some testing with your Multi Meter, For short to Ground, Short to 12v or short to Ref Power that would be around 5V+. With as much as you have listed it could also be related to a bad ECM as well.. You can also use a test light for testing as well. The problem also could be that the wiring harness that has the wires may have been damaged and is shorting out to each other as well...

First I would use your OBD II Reader, Set up some testing for MAF, your EVAP and O2, test that the codes are still active, Maybe even Erase them if the repair has been done in that area. Some can take 30 to 100 key runs without fault to clear on their own. If they come back up then there is still fault.. Fault don't mean always that it is bad hardware, Sometimes it could be a short..

James

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks James. I have a innova model 31703 obdII scan tool. I also recently purchased a new test light. Still need to get a multi meter though. I erased all the codes and after the engine runs for about a minute the check engine light comes back on. Would the live data the scan tool provides help any? I will start tracing wires tomorrow and see if I can find something.

·
Registered
588 Posts
You would want to look over your Live data info for what your scanner has to offer. This data in most scanners are set up for a few PIDs however there should be a setup area for different Pids that are more to your issue.

Also not all scanners are made the same and may not offer all the data that you would want to look over live so then you may want to also check info that may have been recorded. Also Playing back the Data that should be recorded for when the DTC sets. Should log in your scanner info pulled from your cars computer...

James

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Would it be possible that a sticking butterfly in the throttle body could cause these codes? When I bought the car there was no air tube on the throttle body. The aluminum throat in front of the butterfly was chalked up. I cleaned the chalking off before installing the air tube. I remember pushing on the top of the butterfly and it would not move. I thought maybe it was gear controlled and would not move unless commanded to by the ecu. Today I was in the junk yard and saw a 3.5 with the air tube off the throttle body. I stuck my finger in it and the butterfly moved easily. It makes me wonder if that could be my problem. How hard is it to rebuild a throttle body on a 3.9?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts