Impala Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I hope your day is going well. I have a 2009 Impala LT trim, 3.5L engine. For a while, it has been leaking coolant, but we didn't know where from. The water pump, thermostat, radiator hoses have all been replaced. Radiator is in good condition. We do not think there is a crack in it or in the reservoir tank. However, after adding coolant to the tank, it will leak out, depending on the temperature and climate outside. What we have noticed is we do see saturation around the drain plug/o-ring, and we do see where it's leaking from under the car, but it seems like a cap or screw is missing from under it, and it leaks a ton there. Any possible fix? I'm tired of scattering around trying to find answers, haha! Here is a pic below, and please help when possible. Thanks.

·
Registered
406 Posts
If that is right under the radiator, it looks like the drain for the radiator petcock. That would indicate maybe a leaky seal or O-ring on it. The 3.5 & 3.9 engines on 2006-11 Impalas also have a known gasket sealing problem on the coolant crossover pipe, which connects the coolant passages on the heads of the engine, on the passenger side. The leak would show up under the engine on the passenger side, though.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've been working on mine, same year and model, for a couple weeks now, and that's one of the issues I've resolved. My radiator was cracked on the back side of the upper radiator hose. If you pull the radiator out you will see what I am talking about. Clean it up and sand it a little to roughen it and use some JB Weld or epoxy of your choice to fix it. Thats what worked for me.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts