Impala Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys!! I'm getting my 08 Impala ready for my Florida trip on the 16th. I recently changed the PS fluid because it was dark and smelled burnt. I used white bottle Valvoline. After I flushed it, I noticed a squeaking noise when turning the wheel. It never happens when the engine/PS fluid is cold. It's very loud and annoying.

I did some research and everybody is saying it's the pinion gear seal and it's common on GM cars. My question is, did I use the wrong fluid? I wasn't making this noise until I flushed the fluid. I saw somewhere that Dexron VI is good to use in the PS system. Has anybody used it in their Impalas? Also read somewhere to use Lucas PS fluid with conditioners.

Has anybody else ran into this issue that can give me some advice? I'd really appreciate it. The car has over 150k already and I don't want to replace the rack and pinion as its having other issues. I'm sure the noise isn't hurting anything, it's just I take pride in how quite my car is, especially now with my new tires, but this noise is obnoxious! I can post a video if needed. Thanks a million!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Hey guys!! I'm getting my 08 Impala ready for my Florida trip on the 16th. I recently changed the PS fluid because it was dark and smelled burnt. I used white bottle Valvoline. After I flushed it, I noticed a squeaking noise when turning the wheel. It never happens when the engine/PS fluid is cold. It's very loud and annoying.

I did some research and everybody is saying it's the pinion gear seal and it's common on GM cars. My question is, did I use the wrong fluid? I wasn't making this noise until I flushed the fluid. I saw somewhere that Dexron VI is good to use in the PS system. Has anybody used it in their Impalas? Also read somewhere to use Lucas PS fluid with conditioners.

Has anybody else ran into this issue that can give me some advice? I'd really appreciate it. The car has over 150k already and I don't want to replace the rack and pinion as its having other issues. I'm sure the noise isn't hurting anything, it's just I take pride in how quite my car is, especially now with my new tires, but this noise is obnoxious! I can post a video if needed. Thanks a million!!

Read your vehicle owner's manual to determine the correct p/s fluid to use - including any GM specification number. Then, read the bottle of fluid you used and see if you used the correct fluid. GM specifies GM power steering fluid, part #89021184 for your vehicle (NOT automatic transmission fluid!).

GM has a cold weather p/s fluid (which is full synthetic) that can be used in extremely cold temperatures. It is specified for various year Corvettes.

·
Registered
2009 Impala SS
1,674 Posts
GM does NOT recommend automatic transmission fluid for use in the p/s system in the 2012 & 2013 Impala. GM specifies GM power steering fluid, part #89021184 .
Yes GM doesn't recommend Dexron VI specifically for the Impala power steering.
GM has started to recommend Dexron VI in several vehicles, like the Traverse, that exhibit noisy power steering and several folks on this board have replaced the PS fluid with Dexron VI. However. The power steering on those vehicles where it's recommended need to have seals and other parts replaced in the conversion process.

NO 89021184 is not the only fluid GM recommends.

Low Temp Power Steering Fluid Bulletin No.:12-02-32-002A

Bulletin: 13-02-32-001C referenced in Bulletin: 12-02-32-002A View attachment SB-10052379-9767.pdf

·
Registered
10 Posts
I developed a squeak on my 08 LS. Took it to my Chevy dealer and they told me I needed a new steering rack. It fixed the problem, and I haven't had a squeak since.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's been about a week since I flushed the system with Dexron VI, and the noise is completely gone!! I understand it may damage something over time, but I don't plan to keep this car long as I have already put over 30k miles on it since June. But the steering does feel a lot better and the noise is gone. I'm very pleased. A week has passed and I haven't seen any signs of damage. Thanks ;)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh, and my Impala did fantastic on my trip! This may be hard to believe, but I averaged 33.7MPG. Of course that was being very careful how I accelerated and went up and down hills. That's not only what the Average MPG said in the DIC, but I measured it at each fill up. Unfortunately I got a ticket coming back in SC going 92/70 Sure didn't feel like I was going 92 lmao.

·
Registered
2009 Impala SS
1,674 Posts
It's been about a week since I flushed the system with Dexron VI, and the noise is completely gone!! I understand it may damage something over time, but I don't plan to keep this car long as I have already put over 30k miles on it since June. But the steering does feel a lot better and the noise is gone. I'm very pleased. A week has passed and I haven't seen any signs of damage. Thanks ;)

If I interpret the bulletins properly the GM engineers don't want to guarantee that it will fix the problem without changing the seals.
I wouldn't be too worried about damaging something.
I would look into getting a label that says Use Dexron VI.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.