Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I seem to recall reading somewhere that the '08 SS top speed is electronically limited to like around 127 mph? Anyone know if that is true? And if so--WHY? Yeah, I know, there's no need to go that fast...
Any way to 'unrestrict' it?

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
I thought the speed was limited to 113 mph. They restrict the speed to help keep the owner from blowing up the engine while it is still under warranty.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
ya its around 12xmph

the LS models (pre 06) topped out @ 113, and IIRC the 3.4 was 108
a custom tune will remove it, possible a diablo sport may beable to do it as well.
They do it for "safety" reasons. They're actually trying to pass a bill in ON, CANADA, that says it is illegal to own/operate/import a vehicle that isnt speed limited to 140kph (about 90ish)..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well then I guess what I read was probably true; I hate to acknowledge having done it, but I had my SS up to 120 today on a nice straight portion of I-80 in western Utah. Felt mighty good at the speed, no vibration and tracked well. I'll probably never do it again, but was just curious as to at what point the limiter would kick in. My old 2004 LS the limiter kicked in around 108. Thanks all for the info.

·
Registered
22 Posts
2008 Impala Top Speed Is 154 M.P.H.

The 2008 Impala SS Top Speed Is 154 M.P.H. Not sure if that is limited or not. Attached is a picture of "someone" going 131 @ about 4000 R.P.M. getting 6 M.P.G.

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
09 Base Model @ 112

Here is a pic of a base model at it's limited top speed. A friendly reminder is posted on the DIC to let you know why your car now feels like a small parachute has deployed from the rear bumper. I believe it's to do with tire speed ratings as others mentioned earlier. The technology is better nowadays. My '91 Camaro RS V-8 would cut off at about 112, and I mean completely CUT OFF in a very abrupt fashion causing quite a jerk, followed by another jerk when the jerk driving still had his foot in it. Jerky.

Attachments

·
0 Posts
I don't know where the top is but I know I had mine up over 120MPH with no problem. Wasn't just playing arond either... had an emergency and had to get to a hospital.

Just a note... did anyone notice the pick of the SS speedo has the tire pressure indicator on?

·
Registered
913 Posts
I've had my 07 up to 135 on some open freeway in the country and it felt like it wanted to keep going. They shouldn't have changed them up that much but I could be wrong from state to state. Plus mine came with W rated tires. Not sure if thats standard?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Who needs air in the tires at 130? :)

The indicator in the pic was lit, however the tires were properly inflated. The system needed to be relearned & I didn't know how to do it.

·
0 Posts
my 06 ss hit 140 one time. funny thing is my garmin nuvi kept telling me to slow down and kept reminding me that the speed limit was 45mph.. lol

·
Registered
68 Posts
As mentioned in a prior post...top speed is about 154 on the 06-09 SS. No rev limiter on the car. It just will fight with the wind. Had mine up to 135 and she still wanted to go but I didnt!!! Gets a bit light at that speed...remember folks this is an Impala here. As much as everyone says the SS is not deserving of its badge I laugh.....It is probably one of the quickest SS Impalas to come from Chevrolet out of all generations!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
SS impala

I was told that the 08 SS impalas cam with factory installed synthetic ATF does any one know if this is true or not ? If not I want to change the oil and put Amsoil ATF in the trans Thanks for the help.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
I like the check engine light.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts