Impala Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Depends on your tooling...

A couple $0.35 relays, maybe a 122 resistor (1.2KΩ .25W SMD resistor), and some 60:40 Pb:Sn solder.

When your toy bench looks like this it's plenty serviceable. I usually just fix things as long as it doesn't have burnt ASICs, smoked programmable chips, or a burnt board.
I'm in the field right now but my bench at home is just as messy as this guys.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
He definitely has better toys than me. I don't have even an ancient inspection microscope and my Analog Oscilloscopes and function generator are from the 60's to the 80's.
Some fairly wide but shallow drawers under the benchtop limits the clutter without allowing the hand tools to get buried.
A couple deeper drawers allow things like soldering stations and bags of probes to get stashed when not in use... If I bother to use said drawers LOL...

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
If they're marked 122 they're likely 220Ω 5% resistors.
Resistors will dissipate some of the inductive spikes from the field collapse in the relay coil but they're not as effective as a flyback diode.

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
If they're marked 122 they're likely 220Ω 5% resistors.
Resistors will dissipate some of the inductive spikes from the field collapse in the relay coil but they're not as effective as a flyback diode.
I'll buy that - I'm woefully behind on markings for SMD discretes and passives. But I do know BBROYGBVGW :)

Besides having a resistor or diode near the relay, I seem to recall seeing some relay drivers which have a diode built-in. So maybe there's some additional protection at the other end of the cable(s).

Doug

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm having a similar issue, and I will try to replace the under-hood fuse box if its only around $125.00. Any insight on where you guys bought it from? I'm having trouble finding a new one.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I'll buy that - I'm woefully behind on markings for SMD discretes and passives. But I do know BBROYGBVGW :)

Besides having a resistor or diode near the relay, I seem to recall seeing some relay drivers which have a diode built-in. So maybe there's some additional protection at the other end of the cable(s).

Doug

You can get ISO relays with built-in Flyback/Snubber Diodes across the coils. That's why I generally wire ISO relay sockets with + on 86 and - on 85...
It wouldn't be shocking to find PC board mount relays that have snubbers as well.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
The board looks fine, no corrosion, cold solder joints or bad tracks. It doesn’t pop or creak if the board is flexed.
My wipers were also parking to high and the new fuse box also fixed that. One of the PCB relays is for the wipers.
Thanks again tjr1973
This soldered relay board came up again in another thread.
Can you put a picture of the guts of the fuse block in a Google folder or Dropbox folder?
I can post it in this thread and make a note that you provided it.

·
Registered
247 Posts
This soldered relay board came up again in another thread.
Can you put a picture of the guts of the fuse block in a Google folder or Dropbox folder?
I can post it in this thread and make a note that you provided it.
We moved 12/2017 and box was a victim of the moving purge.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts